• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What makes a good trail?

Anyone want to come along for a private viewing?
Screenshot_20220509-221629_Messenger.jpg

Looks like extraction points gonna suck. I don't like wrapping straps around rocks to pull me out but looks like that's their plan

This pic was on FB for boulder size reference View attachment 161525

That looks like an all around good time to me but I'm different than most.

Ultimate trail - if you could put rattle rock, atomic ridge, right side of aop, little jager, lions den and mix some go fast in it for a 40-50 mile loop of never ending stupid type obstacles in one long trail, that would be the perfect day. On a side note, windrock offers basically all of that but yall to busy rOcK bOuNcInG :unsure:

Ultimate trail - if you could put rattle rock, atomic ridge, right side of aop, little jager, lions den and mix some go fast in it for a 40-50 mile loop of never ending stupid type obstacles in one long trail, that would be the perfect day. On a side note, windrock offers basically all of that but yall to busy rOcK bOuNcInG :unsure:

Yeah but you get a lot of the gay at windrock.....

At Flat nasty there is a trail called all day sucker. It is like what you described above except no Atomic Ridge.

My favorite trail is Mason Jar at Harlan. It has a gate keeper that keep most people out due to the entrance, it has great obstacles the rest of the trail, with great views and some stretches of just cruising between those. Many of the obstacles are optional, and many you have to do but just pick which line you'll take which changes the difficulty. It's the perfect trail IMO.

I also love Cripple Creek at Good Evening Ranch, but in a different way. Also about every double black trail at Ivy Branch.

But I really think Mason Jar is the gold standard for having everything a good hard trail should have.

I would love to go north and check out some of those places, but when places like Rausch charge per person per day plus a membership, it costs me a fortune for my family of 4 to wheel for a couple days before I ever buy fuel or food!

First and only time I've been on atomic Ridge was this past november. It hadn't rained for a week, but it was still so slick that the only thing you could do was winch. All of us were on 40s+ and built. A group of hill killer type buggies went up the week after us and did the same thing. That's not fun.

Aoaa sucks in general imo. Trails are too flat. They have some good natural rock sections, but it's just not interesting. Maybe in a decade or so they'll have it figured out.

x2 for Tackett - great mix of moderate and hard obstacles without much "filler" in between (think small rocks just large enough to be annoying). Redneck Millionaire at Green Acres was great too. Merlin at Hawk Pride is another one that jumps out at me as just being a fun overall trail

Last edited:
Two of my favorites in middle tn are Parsons pass and 1410 at coalmont.