• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What would a bouncer do?

Metchosin joe

So my rig is around 5200 lbs. 40" treps, 5.3 sm465 and a 205. I just stripped out my front 5.13 r&p.
Being a budget minded wheeler I think to my self I should swap to 4.10's that are free and plentiful. Install the nwf black box I have on the shelf and use that for reduction and wheel carefree.
Or am I going to regret gearing up to 4.10's.
The terrain up here is very rocky, mossy, muddy rooty tight **** so we don't exactly crawl.

What gears are most these hill killers running in their axles?

Re:

I like 4.10 or 4.56. Easy to get and use your other parts of the drive train if you wanna go slow.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

With sm465 there's no need for 5.13

Hell I'd go down to a 3.73 or 4.10 and rock on...wouldn't even install black...your too low now

I'm running a 465 and a 205 but have a pretty stock 351w and 5.13's. I can put it in 1'st and crawl about anything, second is a great wheel speed gear, So I dunno if 4.10's will cut the mustard, maybe it was a set up issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh there was an issue the pinion nut backed off a few runs ago and sent the pinion into the carrier. I tightened it up but I knew it wasn't long for this world.

Issue is..another gear set and install kit is pricey and 4.10's are already in the parts shed.
Put the 5.13's In years ago when the rig was powered by a 22r now that it's on LS power...is the reduction even needed? Wondering how other people's rigs with similar setups are performing.

What axles?

I wheeled on 4.10 and 37's for years, but it was a Toyota and I couldn't keep thirds together.

As more gearing is done in the t-case the more torque lean you'll get.

A "real" bouncer would run 3.73 axle gears and 600hp mininum, and an auto, and a 3:1 tcase :****:

Your gear swap scenario seems like a LOT of work compared to just replacing the front R&P.

Metchosin joe said:
Oh there was an issue the pinion nut backed off a few runs ago and sent the pinion into the carrier. I tightened it up but I knew it wasn't long for this world.

Issue is..another gear set and install kit is pricey and 4.10's are already in the parts shed.
Put the 5.13's In years ago when the rig was powered by a 22r now that it's on LS power...is the reduction even needed? Wondering how other people's rigs with similar setups are performing.

A gear guy is going to tell you the 5.13's are stronger than the 4.10's in a leverage force kinda world. You just said the 5.13's lasted for yrs until your pinion nut backed off because it wasn't bolt checked.. so are you expecting the 4.10's to last forever without touching them for maintenence? Your install kit for the 4.10's is going to cost more than your 5.13's gears which most likely won't need a install kit.
So to answer your question of what would a bouncer do... I'd say they maintain and bolt check their cars hahahaha!!! All jokes aside put you 5.13's back in thats the cheapest route to go

5.13's are on their way.
Was on the train of thought that the 4.10's were stronger on the same theory that Toyota 4.10's are stronger than 5.29's

Not saying I wasn't just a little bit negligent but the pinion had started the day tight it was probably do to the no lock-tite and used pinion nut that it back off.
Oorrrrr maybe :drinkers:

400 turbo 205 and 5.38 in my chunks. 1st gear is pretty much useless for what I do other than pulling it in the trailer. I am happy with the way mine performs in 2nd and 3rd right now. I think the 4.10s would be stronger due to the larger pinion but I have never broke a 5.38, setup is key to long r&p life. If you were happy with it before then you made the right decision, just time to get in a routine of bolt checking it after every ride.