• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What would you use for an "overlander/weekend warrior"

AW10

Guy I know took his 2000 toyota tundra and put 1 tons under it with a flat bed. Drives it to the trails, wheels it everywhere he wants to, and drives it home. Here lately, all ive really been riding on is creek trails. Watching him go everywhere with heat/ac and a radio sure has got me thinking I want 1 too. I have a 2000 tundra but its only 2wd. Thought about buying an atlas with all the hardware to bolt it up properly and throwing 1 ton stuff under it. I was randomly looking around at used trucks today and ran across a 95 ram 2500 with a v8 in it for 5k and only like 150k miles. I have never even thought about gas 2500/3500 trucks because ive always wanted a diesel but I feel like this would be a great idea for what im wanting to do with it because all that parts area already on it and its cheap and easy (have no idea how strong the trans or transfer is in them, i just assume they are stronger than my tundra)...

I compared it to my tundra and the body is only 4 inches wider and by the time i add 1 tons under my tundra they will weigh about the same give or take a few hundred lbs but id have a LOT less in the truck already built vs building out my tundra.

So my question is, what would you buy / build for this type of wheeling? I want 40's, v8, 1ton axles, auto trans, heat/ac, working windows, windshield wipers ( basically an every day driver capable truck), and the ability to drive down the interstate with ease on the way and crawl on the trails, and id like to have less than 10k in it.

The big problem with my tundra is it knocks for a few seconds on cold start up during winter months so its not even worth 2k but id drive it around the world tomorrow without even thinking about it, I dont have a shop to build it, and the parts would cost a lot to do it correctly.

GM 2500 hd. add a sas up front with a sd 60 and a slip yoke eliminator and the manual shift 241. Flat bed if you want.

You talking about Drew Faust? I saw his truck get posted up on fb at rbd and have drooled over it ever since.
78f91f6f1ad5f3162f942097f3dc1157.jpg
25da9b98532b064a738ccb82e9ea8647.jpg

I'd be hard pressed not to go with a Tundra or Dodge 2500. Tons of room. Tons of aftermarket support. Plenty of power.

My buddies Taco. Its awesome. Scooter60 can give the details he and Chris built it.
9005d06128f4f830781dd60f3cb9a40b.jpg
0a436f707c361e7433b1e41956b3b6b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Its street legal. He has two sets of 43, stickies and regular compound for the road.

Edit. And he drives it 50 mile round trips, with heat and AC. And if he's lazy with the stickies :****:

AW10 said:
I want 40's, v8, 1ton axles, auto trans, heat/ac, working windows, windshield wipers ( basically an every day driver capable truck), and the ability to drive down the interstate with ease on the way and crawl on the trails, and id like to have less than 10k in it.

I'm assuming you pretty much want to put some tons and 40s under a fairly stock rig (no engine swaps, etc)

v8 puts you in full size trucks pretty much, unless you get an older Dodge Dakota or a v8 Colorado/Canyon ($$$)

SUVs opens you up to v8 4runners, Lexus GX470s, lots of Grand Cherokees, Trailblazer/Envoy, Durango, Explorer/Mountaineer, lots of options.

That said, I don't think $10K will get you there and be reliable/highway driveable on 40s.

Unless you buy something already built. There have been a few later model (2000+) full size Chevys straight axle swapped on 37s-40s that have sold on here for less than $10K

I'd buy something already built then focus on making it highway worthy. Lots of nicely built full body built rigs out there for around $10K.

I'm in the same boat, now that my kids are home I'm wanting more of a dual/tri/quad purpose rig. No need for a two sweater buggy anymore since I'd rather take everybody. I'm going to do a Tahoe/Escalade w/ a set of super duties and coilovers. I saw one at Hammers a few years ago and that thing was nice, shock tuner dude said it was the most fun he had all weekend, 70 mph in the desert with the a/c blowing on him! I'm leaning towards a 2wd Escalade for the 6.0 and when I add a minute shift t case the computer/sensors won't be looking for the t case. Like this.

8f3126776c0477a16ed0bd478446a1a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've thought about this as well, as I have a wife and 3 kids. The hardcore riding is pretty much out for me.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd be inclined to use a 4th gen V8 4Runner or an R51 pathfinder with the V8.

Current rig would just about fit the bill if I didn't add full hydro.

Attachments

• 6F075E57-B090-41D6-9ACD-52CB34D0E430.jpeg
    6F075E57-B090-41D6-9ACD-52CB34D0E430.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 103
I rode with a group one time and one of the guys broke the pick up in his gas tank (not sure how but he did) So I ended up having to drive my jeep home in the middle of winter with a bikini top, borrowed doors and no heat while he was on the trailer and my dad drove my truck towing him to his house. I get wanting to have the heat and ac and radio, but the driving to the trails thing is where I can't get on board. Everything breaks, no matter how you much you build it. But i totally get it. I miss the days of 33's and only a rear locker going through the cove and having to work for it.

Basically what I'm working towards stout, reliable and street around town.. o don't want to call it Overlanding, doubt it sees highway travels n ****
8d8f45479cac86b47367f768bb2c33c2.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

muddinmetal said:
I would really consider an 80 series Land Cruiser/Lx450.

The single best do all rig ever made.... at least for under $30k

Im really not impressed with the 80 series at all, its nice. its heavy. no power. and the axles and trasnfer case barely handle a light beatdown with 35's. He'd be much better off with any 2500 pickup.

leeman1790 said:
Im really not impressed with the 80 series at all, its nice. its heavy. no power. and the axles and trasnfer case barely handle a light beatdown with 35's. He'd be much better off with any 2500 pickup.

The axles are good to rob for Zuki...

But yeah they aren't v8, tons, or anywhere near holding 40s on a full body

TBItoy said:
The axles are good to rob for Zuki...

But yeah they aren't v8, tons, or anywhere near holding 40s on a full body

Admittedly I did not read his qualifications, only the title and it was the first thing to come to mind. 40s are possible with longfields, and 275 ft lbs of torque is a bit weak, but better than 90 % of propaned sbc roaming the woods. The 6000 lbs it the killer for the axles and power train though for sure

His requirements definitely blow it out of the water

Yeah Drew is who I was talking about. That tacoma is pretty much the embodiment of what I have in my head ( not for 10k though ). I'm probably just going to end up building my tundra because I can't sell it for what's it's worth to me with a knocking motor but I was pretty curious what was out there. I'd be all over the Tacoma body but motor swaps always seem to have their own problems like gauges not working, ect. I also have no idea how to do it and paying someone to do it properly would blow the budget to hell.
Maybe the v6 would do everything I'd want it to but I know my tundra already downshifts at 70 going up steep hills, cant imagine what a v6 would do with 40s. My motor could also use a tune up I'm sure.

Found a cucv truck with an ls swap for 4200 but that body seems really wide in pics.

AW10 said:
Found a cucv truck with an ls swap for 4200 but that body seems really wide in pics.

Go! Now! You need that!!!!

1- Reliability
2- Cool factor
3- Factory locker
4- Easier to install A/C in it than to SAS and 4x4 convert your Taco
5- It's ****ing COOL!!!!!!