• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Whats a good fairly inexpensive tire groover?

pholmann

I am looking to get a groover to cut my tires. I look online and I see them from about 70 bucks to hundreds. Ive never cut any of my tires. Any advise on what is the best for the money? I am not looking to spend 400 bucks on a hot knife. Any help is appreciated. Well most anyways.

I thought about sharpening the **** out of an air chisel bit and going that route. My luck I'd stick that sumbitch through the damn tire.

I'm gonna try the chisel / torch thing possibly this week. Either that....or small 50$ electric chain saw. Youtube vids show both work fairly well. The chainsaw seems like it'd make a big mess though.

Go to Harbor freight and get the angle grinder attachment that has a chainsaw blade. I know it sounds sketchy, works like a charm. Perfect lines and very easy to control! It's like $30. Well worth it and very fast. :****:

Re: Re: Re: Whats a good fairly inexpensive tire groover?

kushKrawlin said:
Go to Harbor freight and get the angle grinder attachment that has a chainsaw blade. I know it sounds sketchy, works like a charm. Perfect lines and very easy to control! It's like $30. Well worth it and very fast. :****:

Hows the mess?

I saw that. Looked like it could possibly save a trip to the emergency room. I envision lots of grab and bounce on that rubber. Sounds dirty huh?

I swear to God is not sketchy. I thought the same thing. Cuts like butter. I've never had it grab or anything scary. Have used it alot. :dblthumb: you will not be disappointed! Oh and about the mess. Its BAD. Definitely do not do it in the garage like I tried. As long as you're outside and have gloves and glasses ur good. Thats **** gets everywhere

Did these.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 930
No prob. I have watched and did my research on groovers. This thing will smoke the **** out of a tire Groover. I think I did those tires in about an hour and a half maybe. Make sure every once in a while you clean out your angle grinder. Blow it out with air. Especially the trigger. Repeat especially be trigger!!!!!

Re: Re: Whats a good fairly inexpensive tire groover?

Busted out the chisel and prpane torch....45min later I got the tops of the rears done. I got better/faster on the second tire.

20140505_173906_zpsvhlpxkd1.jpg

20140505_180643_zpsaffthbu3.jpg

If your doing whole lugs you can't beat these tools. File a good edge on the blade and lob the whole lug off. It took about 20 minutes a tire on these.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 814
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 276
Re: Whats a good fairly inexpensive tire groover?

qy9y8a3u.jpg
aqeqyvaz.jpg

I did a redneck chainsaw cut on my wore out sx tires this afternoon. I am thinking about removing whole lugs later but will see if this helps any for now.

Latest posts