• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Where the crap did they go?

The Luke

What in the heck happened to all of the D300, 4:1, flip kit, cable shifter setups go? Pre-atlas's and stak's, it seemed like everyone and their mother ran a fully built d300. Now, I spend more time than I care to admit scouring the interwebs for one to pop up cheap-ish or even for sale at all where someone upgraded to an atlas, hero, scs, etc.. . And for the life of me, I have never seen one. I can find stock d300's all day long for $100-200. But it's like all the modified setups fell off the face of the earth. If you want a toyota or sami setup, I can fill a swimming pool full of them. But, that does me no good at all.

Nobody makes a 231 reduction kit anymore. So other than buying an atlas, what are my t case reduction options? Where's my old school, junkyard wheelers at? Bust out your "back in the day we used to...." stories...

What in the heck happened to all of the D300, 4:1, flip kit, cable shifter setups go? Pre-atlas's and stak's, it seemed like everyone and their mother ran a fully built d300. Now, I spend more time than I care to admit scouring the interwebs for one to pop up cheap-ish or even for sale at all where someone upgraded to an atlas, hero, scs, etc.. . And for the life of me, I have never seen one. I can find stock d300's all day long for $100-200. But it's like all the modified setups fell off the face of the earth. If you want a toyota or sami setup, I can fill a swimming pool full of them. But, that does me no good at all.

Nobody makes a 231 reduction kit anymore. So other than buying an atlas, what are my t case reduction options? Where's my old school, junkyard wheelers at? Bust out your "back in the day we used to...." stories...
Check out Northwest Fab. They sell a 231 based reduction box you can bolt in front of a round pattern case,

They all got busted to **** when people started LS swapping and putting sticky tars on 'er thing. Cases cracked and munched the gears...

Back in the day... you hacked up a np231 and welded some junk to the side of it to try to keep the oil in and got a intermediate shaft from some random vendor with questionable business ethics and indeterminate lead times (or you built your own if you had machine shop capabilites)...

Nowadays, probably the best/cheapest/strongest option is to get a NWF Ecobox and put a NP205 behind it.

Or gear your axles appropriately and just deal with not having super low low Toyota crawl speed...

Aren't you running 3.73 or 4.10 gears in the axles?

yep. 4.10's. Just sometimes I want low low toyota crawl speed. Mostly for downhill trails and to have the ability to crawl things instead of ramrod everything

:driving:

Attachments

• Ramrod.jpg
    Ramrod.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 139
Man, I'd like one but good grief everyone thinks they're worth their weight in gold.

Alright.

2.72 t case with 4.10 gears= 31.23
2.72 with 5.38's=40.97
4:1 with 4.10 =45.92
4:1 with 5.38=60.26
Doubled 231 with 5.38's=81.95

So I need a doubler and 5.38's....

IMO
40:1 - 50:1 is plenty low enough with ~40" tires

60:1 would probably be good for a heavy full body rig with less than 250 hp and doing technical crawling... anything lower than that and you're gonna be in 3rd-4th gear to go more than walking speed.

A stock JK case (mp241, no slip yoke) with a crawl box in front of it would probably be the cheapest setup with the most gearing. (I'd run a ford np205, but the JK case is an option...)

Or bling out a D300 for about $1500-$1700.

NWF Blackbox , God I love the options ! I'm stock 3.73 diff gears and run a 700R4 so yes it will boogie down as well !

My buggy had a built D300, 4.1 gear set ( broke the first set and yes it was warrantied ) had the 32spl outputs etc. I had a grip in it and was always a little weary of it even with my smoker motor TBI 350 lol

Yeah, I think Dana. 300s, like samurai cases, are all dying from rock bouncing.

I'd say, 5.38s front and back will be plenty with the 2.72 stock t case. I imagine if you ever went to an atlas from there you'd be between a 3.0 and 3.8 (not far from 2.72)

Yeah, I think Dana. 300s, like samurai cases, are all dying from rock bouncing.

I'd say, 5.38s front and back will be plenty with the 2.72 stock t case. I imagine if you ever went to an atlas from there you'd be between a 3.0 and 3.8 (not far from 2.72)

Exactly, I can't get a steal on a geared samurai case for ****!

Latest posts