• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who's done an Alaskan cruise?

Juan_Hong_Loe

That's dumb
What cruise line? What all did you do (excursions)? How long of a cruise? How well did you like it?Any other input would be nice too!

Planning a trip for the summer of 2013 (granted the world doesn't end!). Trying to get my p's and q's in order.

I did a 7 day out of Seattle about 2 years ago. We used NCL and it's the best thing I've done ever but it's also the only cruise I've done so far. The excursions we signed up for stuff everyday and only missed one because of weather. Ofcourse it was the dog sledding which I wanted to do the most. I really like the small plane ride up into mountains but my wife not so much. The train ride was really scenic and the lumber jack show is cool. In all it was great. I'd love to do it again sometime.

7 day with Norwegian and loved it. You don't have to tip with them and don't have assigned seats for dinner like other ones. We did a helicopter to a glacier then dogsledding, fishing in Katchakan, White Pass railroad, and a mining town and ended in Victoria BC. I know we went to Juno and Skagway but it's all a bit cloudy and was about 7 years ago. I'm sure I butchered the spelling of the towns as well. I was by far the best cruise I've ever done and would love to do it again. We also spend a day in Glacier Bay but that was on the ship. Pack for all kinds of weather cause I froze my butt off on the glacier and got sunburnt the next day fishing.

7 day with Celebrity Cruise Line. Left out of Vancouver. Saw Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau, and Valdez. Skagway was probably my favorite stop. As mentioned above, White Pass Railroad is really cool. We also did white water rafting on one stop and that was a good time. I would go back and do another cruise up there in a heat beat.

Re: Re: Who's done an Alaskan cruise?

I lived in homer ak for 3 years for a true adventure fly to anchorage and rent a car and just drive around

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Driving around AK is a great time also. I drove from MS, looped AK, then back to MS in a week. Total of 11,000 miles.

SilverStarCustoms said:
Driving around AK is a great time also. I drove from MS, looped AK, then back to MS in a week. Total of 11,000 miles.

Assuming you drove 16 hours a day and slept 8.

112 hours driving divided by 11,000 miles is 98 miles an hour average.

I don't think I want to ride with you :fish:

JohnG said:
Assuming you drove 16 hours a day and slept 8.

112 hours driving divided by 11,000 miles is 98 miles an hour average.

I don't think I want to ride with you :fish:

We drove 175 hours straight with 2 drivers.

So I drug this old thread up because I believe the ole lady and I are gonna honeymoon on an Alaskan cruise. Anyone been recently and got a recommend for a cruise line? This thread from several years back sounds like Norwegian was a hit with most. Also any excursion ideas other than the ones posted?

Interesting to hear the RR was a good choice. Got 7 day planned this year and haven't decided on excursions yet.

civicmindedex79 said:
So I drug this old thread up because I believe the ole lady and I are gonna honeymoon on an Alaskan cruise. Anyone been recently and got a recommend for a cruise line? This thread from several years back sounds like Norwegian was a hit with most. Also any excursion ideas other than the ones posted?

Me and wife went on our honeymoon back in '12 and sailed with princess cruise lines and had zero complaints..I've never sailed with Norwegian but have heard good things..We sailed in June and had rough seas so I recommend lots of dramamine if you get motion sick

wimpykid said:
Interesting to hear the RR was a good choice. Got 7 day planned this year and haven't decided on excursions yet.

We went to Juneau, Skagway, kachakan, Glacier Bay, Victoria B.C...Juneau we done a gold pan trip w/ salmon bake..gold pan was a joke but the salmon bake was on point..White pass RR is a must if you you port in Skagway..be sure to take a camera or at least a camcorder b/c th views are unreal..We chartered a boat in kachakan and didn't catch **** but it was still fun seeing the wildlife..all in all it was a fun trip and hope to do it again someday..like I mentioned above be sure to take plenty of film or camcorder cause the views are unreal!!

So our trip in 13 was awesome! Booked through Holland AMERICA. Flew into Fairbanks, did a gold pan trip there and a riverboat tour. Took the train down to Denali and went into the park, got on a bus and went to Seward. Got on a cruise ship and then from there went to glacier bay, Haines/Skagway did an airplane glacier tour from Haines and landed in Skagway took ferry back to Haines and went on a nature tour. From there we went to Jeneau and did a glacier hike. Then went to Ketchikan and did a kayak tour and saw all kinds of star fish and whales very cool!!! Then we ended up in Vancouver and hung out there for a couple of days. Was an awesome 14 day trip including flying time. I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!!