• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Why are all truck drivers big pieces of ****?

DrankinInTheWoods said:
Yes, if something flies off my truck I will make every attempt to get it out of the road to make sure no one hits it. Saw a guy nail a ladder in the middle of the road on a motorcycle when I was younger...
that is because you knew it flew out,,, 98.99% of the drivers don't know the recap has come off for sometime,want them to turn around backtrack find it then move it from the road?

I can shed some light....

GPS sucks for big rigs. I am not a truck driver but I've driven my 40' freightliner RV and 28' trailer all over the country. GPS will try to take you places you can't fit or shouldn't be. Especially if its a first time trip, you need to be careful of where you go in a town. You'll hit a spot where your only option is to back up a long ass ways but there is a lane full of traffic behind you. Good example is the Renegades on the Ridge (up and coming KOH mini of the east coast) I got there and the road had a sign on it that said 10 Ton bridge. It was an at grade turn off a 4 lane. Well we can't go the only way in now.... or can we. So you ask yourself, is the turn to the park before the bridge or after? Do I risk driving up the narrow winding road or are you going to have to back up a few miles to get out? If I have to back up how am I going to back across a 4 lane highway. If I stay on the 4 lane not only will I lose time but I'll be driving miles out of my way, but at least I know I'll fit on the road and have time to come up with a plan. This type of situation happens in almost every town we drive to or through.

Some 12'6" bridges are 14' high and you can drive right under.... some are 11' and you'll skin the RV.

Anyone who's put a lot of miles down knows you need to be very skeptical of your GPS. Many times we will use google maps to see an arial while we sit there trying to decide if we risk the turn.

Tell your guys to look at an ariel anytime they need to get someplace new. Its really makes getting places when your 74' long much faster.

DrankinInTheWoods said:
Why do truck drivers know that their truck is governed at still try to pass on a 2 lane highway?
Also, why won't the truck in the right lane getting passed adjust their speed slightly to let the other truck get around?

The concept of slowing a truck is laughable to me. It takes a truck longer to slow and longer to accelerate back up to speed and 99% of the time they will be driving all day. If they slowed down or gave cars priority it would cost them hours in wasted time and gas each week.

You should be more concerned with giving them room. I can't hear car horns from my seat and pay the flailing hands no mind, I hope I ruined their day. I used to laugh when people cut in front of me, I got tired of laughing all the time. If we all need to stop quick or take evasive action, I won't be the grease stain, the car will bounce off the front of me.

I didn't have respect for them until I put a lot of miles down. Now I give them room on the road and I drive my RV like the cars don't matter. I don't care of you need to hit your brakes or merge, I only care about operating the 50,000lb vehicle safely. I gained a different perspective over time.

I am a part time trucker do to the inability to find a decent driver in these times, But have made both of my kids ride with me to show them the ropes.
A big truck is a little train it can't stop and it can't speed off. Everybody wants to pull out in front of you cause they don't want to be behind you.
It never amazes me that some guy is watching tony Bolton youtube videos and gets pissed because the Snyder truck is in the left lane. :****:

If i'm driving faster than the speed limit, I take all responsibility for my actions. I'm the one breaking the law, not the truck changing lanes. Can't be mad at the truck driver for abiding by the law.

...but the point of this thread was not bad drivers / bad driving etiquette....it's about having the right tool(s) for the job. I'm guessing it's just how all job forces are going these days. Demanding Ferrari performance, but on a Geo Metro budget.

But since we're bitchin' bout road etiquette, I don't see regular cars/drivers through rose colored glasses. Just today coming to work on the same I75 2 lane interstate we had a really sweet Buick LuCerne and a Nissan Maxima drag/bracket racing one another in different lanes at 61-65mph for appx. a stretch of 2 exits. I was fortunate enough to be the FIRST car behind them in a line of what I counted as 12 cars behind this rolling road block.

Me being the very personable and kind, loving, pillar of the community that I am....I chose to just drive on top of the dotted line in BOTH lanes behind them. After this very mature move on my part, the car in the slow/right lane chose to be a rebel and pursue that elusive 70mph speed limit. I chose this trend breaker as my draft partner(as did the other cars) and we proceeded to freight train past Buick guy who was STILL oblivious to anything and jus kept his lane at the brisk 62mph.

I'm the first to blip a light to let a trucker/car over, slow down a bit to let someone pass me(VERY rare, but sometimes i'm in my truck :) ). I'm not sure why most people can't comprehend this.

Basically nobody can drive anymore, got the damn cell phone in their hand at all times. Nobody paying attention and nobody can drive in rain anymore
My biggest thing is when your getting on the interstate pay a ****ing attention. Look and put phone down and either mash the gas and go or I'm not getting over, I will run you into the guard rail if you are on your phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LOL.....those 30mph on ramp mergers probably get more people in wrecks than published. I'm generally doin' 70mph 30ft before the ramp joins in.

DrankinInTheWoods said:
Why do truck drivers know that their truck is governed at still try to pass on a 2 lane highway?
Also, why won't the truck in the right lane getting passed adjust their speed slightly to let the other truck get around?

Right!!!!!!!!

Zjman said:
Well well well. First I will say the trucking industry as whole has gone to ****, old guys retired when the eld mandate took effect and there's a massive driver shortage so companies will hire and heartbeat that can pass a drug test, it's absolutely pathetic out here with the professionalism I see, truck drivers think they are driving they're Hyundai out here whipping in and out of traffic and holding everybody up that's faster. Between millennials and foreigners and I hate to say but black dudes, they can't drive to save their ass, damn solar powered trucks have truck stops packed at 7pm.

But I agree. Most Truck drivers are big **** bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree. i see more semis tailgating and cutting people off, They will just pull right out in front of you. If your in the middle of nowhere and your trying to get a run up a grade to hold your 70 they will jump right out so they can continue to pull their 59.9mph.. I've traveled a bunch and my hatred to them has grown imensly.. my practice is cut them off, dont let them over, screw them on any hill you can.. basically drive the same as they do! As for how smart they are... if you have an empty parking lot and an empty muddy grass field a truck driver will pick the muddy grass field to turn around in everytime.. lol font even get started on motorcyclist hahahaha

Poke said:
The concept of slowing a truck is laughable to me. It takes a truck longer to slow and longer to accelerate back up to speed and 99% of the time they will be driving all day. If they slowed down or gave cars priority it would cost them hours in wasted time and gas each week.

You should be more concerned with giving them room. I can't hear car horns from my seat and pay the flailing hands no mind, I hope I ruined their day. I used to laugh when people cut in front of me, I got tired of laughing all the time. If we all need to stop quick or take evasive action, I won't be the grease stain, the car will bounce off the front of me.

I didn't have respect for them until I put a lot of miles down. Now I give them room on the road and I drive my RV like the cars don't matter. I don't care of you need to hit your brakes or merge, I only care about operating the 50,000lb vehicle safely. I gained a different perspective over time.

This^

I am a truck driver. If you've never driven one I dare you to ride along in one. It won't take you 2 miles to see where the real problem is. As far as speed limiters, those are on us because of you 4 wheelers. 80% of crashes are 4 wheelers fault. Government and society thinks limiting us is the solution instead of educating the general public on how to properly drive or to have law enforcement pay more attention to what 4 wheelers are doing around us. I see cops do nothing all day long with violators right in front of them. All day. Every day. Every city. Every state.

I always use Google Maps so I can get a good up to date overhead view and street view when applicable before I deliver to any place I'm not familiar with. Ive seen a co-worker get a $15,000 fine for following a customer's directions to a job site in Pennsylvania before so thats not always a good option either, a lot of times you'll be miles down the road before you hit anything that tells you its not big truck friendly.

The whole complaint about truck drivers clogging up the left lane always cracks me up. I've spent the past 10 years driving commercial trucks and I can honestly say that I hear sooooo many more people complain about that issue than I actually see it happen on the road when it's not actually warranted. The left lane is a passing lane and not the lane where the speed limit doesn't matter. You can even drive under the limit if you're actively passing and sometimes you have to because you need to get over to give somebody room on the shoulder. I used to drive a Heavy Wrecker so have a lot of experience being on the side of the road so I always try and get over for anybody who broke down and a lot times I get tailgated for doing that or end up getting the finger but its a better option than not giving people who are broke down some room. Another thing people need to remember when sharing the road with a semi-truck is that just because you dont see something that would cause them to get over doesn't mean theres not something there. You're driving next to something thats the size of a house and you never know why theyre getting over so just give them some space.

I would love to have a right-hand drive semi-truck that has a mock steering wheel on the left side so I can take people out on the road and they could see what its really like to be a big dumb truck driver. BTW my wife and friends will tell you that even though I might be a truck driver you won't find anybody more critical of bad truck drivers than me because they give us all a bad name but actually most of them are mannered pretty well on the highway. Get them in tight quarters or a truck stop and then I lose my mind with their stupidity.

"Worst part of driving a truck for a living is being associated with truck drivers."
-Me

kmcminn said:
Do yall wear socks, flip flops with your sweat pants and always drink out of bubba kegs?

Ever try to drive 11 hrs a day? Gotta have a couple Bubba Kegs of coffee and then piss in your Mt. Dew bottles. If you cant keep that rig rolling than people will bitch about not getting their Amazon package clear across the country in 2 days. :****:

I drive a slow truck and try to stay out the left lane and when I'm in left lane I try to make sure I don't end up with a train behind me, if someone is inch worming me I will let off and let em pass and then speed up. I hate to hold anybody up or be In anybody's way. I see **** everyday that makes me shake my head, people always says truck driving is easy all ya do is sit on ur ass all day, this is true but trust me, it's getting very very hard to stay safe and keep outta harms way. Damn people and cell phones are idiots and I see more and more road rage. I just wanna make it to 2 million safe miles, but it's not as easy as it used to be
f06fdfb747480955af4d39465eb0bb41.jpg

Zjman said:
I drive a slow truck and try to stay out the left lane and when I'm in left lane I try to make sure I don't end up with a train behind me, if someone is inch worming me I will let off and let em pass and then speed up. I hate to hold anybody up or be In anybody's way. I see **** everyday that makes me shake my head, people always says truck driving is easy all ya do is sit on ur ass all day, this is true but trust me, it's getting very very hard to stay safe and keep outta harms way. Damn people and cell phones are idiots and I see more and more road rage. I just wanna make it to 2 million safe miles, but it's not as easy as it used to be
f06fdfb747480955af4d39465eb0bb41.jpg

Has your truck number changed? I never see you on the road anymore and I check every TMC truck I see.

onepieceatatime said:
Has your truck number changed? I never see you on the road anymore and I check every TMC truck I see.
Yup got a brand new piece of ****, I hate this truck. #12731
You still running outta Columbus or you switch to Cincinnati?

I had a friend that was a truck driver and had to go to Texarkana from Atlanta to pick up a load of beer for a guy. It was on short notice and he was getting good money to deliver ASAP so I tagged along in my trans am to keep him out of trouble. Man we had a blast. Only issues we had were with a local sherriff but other than that nothing exciting.

I had another friend that used to be a bouncer. He ended up driving a truck for a living until he lost his license. He worked at a trucking company and ended up getting to run an off the books load for some cash. I didn't go with him, but he had a couple of guys ride with him that made for some good stories. One of them was a country music singer and the other was a police officer. They ended up in a high speed chase through the mountains, and the owner of the load took my friends family for ransom until he delivered the load. It was all messed up.

Latest posts