• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Why do you stick with this hobby?

TBItoy

I know we've had discussions about how we got started, and how rigs have evolved, but what keeps you coming back?

Even in the off-road spectrum, why trucks/Jeeps/buggies vs SXS or ATVs or Dirt Bikes?

Seems like most other stuff is easier to haul, easier to own, etc.

I like building and modifying trucks, but don't currently have the time or $ to do it.

4wheelers and dirt bikes kinda seem dangerous after 10 years with a cage/harness...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I may have a learning disability :****: you think you would finally realize how much money and time it takes for this hobby, and be like damn I'm stupid. But I love building and working on this stuff, and I have meet a lot of good people, and made a few really good friends. I have never really wanted big fancy houses or high dollar clothes, so might as well spend my money on something that I enjoy most of the time.

I ask myself this question all the time. At this point, I think it's just a habit. I haven't been wheeling in over 2 years and have a fortune tied up in trying to finish a new buggy.

I just wanna do hood rat stuff with my friends! There is literally nothing like getting out in the woods with your buddies, riding challenging trails and having as good of a time as you want. Y'all can have the drag strips, circle tracks, etc. Nothing compares to wheeling.

I also enjoy the build process. Learning new things and testing ideas to grow the technology. Working in the shop is as much fun as wheeling at times. At least for me.

wizzo said:
I just wanna do hood rat stuff with my friends! There is literally nothing like getting out in the woods with your buddies, riding challenging trails and having as good of a time as you want. Y'all can have the drag strips, circle tracks, etc. Nothing compares to wheeling.

I also enjoy the build process. Learning new things and testing ideas to grow the technology. Working in the shop is as much fun as wheeling at times. At least for me.

^^^ This is it for me as well. ^^^

Bebop said:
Cause nothing else makes me feel like when I'm wheeling with my friends.

wizzo said:

These two right here. Used to be sprung on the dragstrip until a racing friend bought a jeep and told to me I needed to go to Hot Springs with him some time. One trip was all it took and that was 11 years ago and I still have the best time on the trails. Dragstrip was 11 seconds of fun and done, wheelin' is all day fun.

Where else can I practice driving drunk?? :woot: HaHa I just like the challenge of the trails and the laid back atmosphere and the good folks you meet. One of my buddies has a place on a big creek, have to wheel to get to it. Get back in there set up a grill, crank some tunes and rope swing into the swimmin hole. That is a good saturday afternoon.

3153131e9163bd149727a792afb60e7d.jpg

The friendships made in the woods and around the fire are second to none. I also enjoy building stuff that most have to buy. I've considered selling out(tools and parts) but something keeps me from walking away. Usually all it takes is a trail ride to relight the fire.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I've wondered this about OTHER people in this hobby for a while. I understand everyone is different and has different situations but the ones i'm always left shaking my head and dropping the WTF are:

-Constantly repairing your rig/vehicle(not upgrading, REPAIRING/FIXING) This is fun???
-Riding in shitty weather just to be riding. Why? You don't goto the beach when it snows(insert some .000000001353% joke of people that do).
-Building a rig for 1+year. Seriously.....and also see next reason below
-Selling after minimal to 0 use? Is this why everyone says its better to BUY than BUILD? Not talking about 3500 crap box XJ's. I'm talkin 20+grand stuff
-Bad day wheeling / better than good day at work? Maybe if you're a roofer...in Texas...while being shot at.

I hate to say it, but when I bought my rig from Jessie on here(...thanks again, I still love this rig) this thing has damn near been a good INVESTMENT for me. Coming up on 6 or 7 years with this rig and only real money spent in those times has been 4 tires and an atlas. I enjoy just one hand on the steering wheel drivin' over stuff and not having to think or worry about ****.

All I do M-F is process numbers, risk analysis, logistics, babysit adults, fix electronic issues and try to save a penny or 3 on distribution product. Most times stressful but manageable. I enjoy not having people depend on me or needing to think. Same ingredients as my other hobbies.

As long as I can balance the below equation, i'm good.

Stress+inconvenience+people = money+quality of life+free time

If anyone has ever seen the movie "The Accountant" with Ben Afleck, that's basically me....except poorer..... and I can't fight or shoot that good. :)

tonybolton said:
I enjoy just one hand on the steering wheel drivin' over stuff and not having to think or worry about ****.

I think this is a lot of my draw to trail riding... After you have good/reliable equipment, it's pretty easy and comfortable to spend a day in the woods on trails with big rocks and obstacles.
I've wheeled on difficult trails in shorts and sandals for YEARS, rolled over more times than I can remember, and the worst injury I've had was maybe a cut finger or scrap...

Tony, you used to trail ride dirtbikes (iirc you posted about riding in Tellico) , why did you get away from that?

I am (and always have been) enamored with dirt bikes, BUT I've only owned a couple, and never actually learned to ride one with any skill.

I've had several hobbies that faded out over time but this one stuck deep. I love being in the woods with my friends talking **** and joking around. When we get to go it's the one time in I dont worry about ****. I think thats what keeps me coming back.

And Tonyb you only wheel when it's 74.8999423 degrees out with partial cloud cover and a 2.15 mph breeze, so all weather is shitty weather for you :****:

I've started joking whenever something breaks on the trail that I'm filming this weeks episode of "Dirt Every Day"

I'll be laying under the rig, in the mud, creek, whatever and yelling "Today on Dirt Every Day we're going to drag you and your buddies to the woods, break something that makes absolutely no sense at all and see if you can get back home or keep riding with limited tools and zip ties..all before you run out of beer..."

That said, I enjoy acting like Mcguyver. Also, the wife was giving me a hard time the other day about how 90% of our friends were originally fake internet friends. I guess that's the real reason.

I started doing it when I was a teenager then found muscle cars but after years of tickets and almost loosing my license I decided going slow was more fun. I tried 4 wheelers for a bit since I raced them as a kid and liked them but found I was even dumber as an adult on one and my wife threatened divorce if I didn't quit riding them. I was dumb enough to think it'd be a cheap way of getting out of the house and having some fun, last part was kinda right and my old Yota was cheap enough but also had 300k on it and barely climbed hills. Also I think I may be a little touched in the head. And it's ever so slightly cheaper than a drug problem, except meth, and I get to keep my teeth and my job.

The Luke said:
I've started joking whenever something breaks on the trail that I'm filming this weeks episode of "Dirt Every Day"

I'll be laying under the rig, in the mud, creek, whatever and yelling "Today on Dirt Every Day we're going to drag you and your buddies to the woods, break something that makes absolutely no sense at all and see if you can get back home or keep riding with limited tools and zip ties..all before you run out of beer..."

That said, I enjoy acting like Mcguyver. Also, the wife was giving me a hard time the other day about how 90% of our friends were originally fake internet friends. I guess that's the real reason.

You remember that trip when I was in knee deep mud trying to get Matt out of the woods in the bronco? The same trip the first trail the first night you blew your driveshaft to **** ha. Good times.

jeeptj99 said:
You remember that trip when I was in knee deep mud trying to get Matt out of the woods in the bronco? The same trip the first trail the first night you blew your driveshaft to **** ha. Good times.
Yep. Cause I went back and was knee deep in the same mud hole hooking two different winches to that same bronco to drag it out.

Come to think of it, Matt gets drug out almost as often as Steve.

I've enjoyed off road trucks since I was a kid. Literally my father had a lifted 78 K10 until I was 14 maybe. Then I got into XJ's, now samurais. I haven't wheeled in over 2 years and still build on my Samurai for apparently no reason. I guess I just keep doing it because I really have nothing else to do. I wish I would have learned to ride a motorcycle cuz I want one now...

Re: Re: Why do you stick with this hobby?

TBItoy said:
Tony, you used to trail ride dirtbikes (iirc you posted about riding in Tellico) , why did you get away from that?

I am (and always have been) enamored with dirt bikes, BUT I've only owned a couple, and never actually learned to ride one with any skill.

You can die or **** yourself up quicker on a dirt bike. I think it was in my mid late 20s when dirt bikes started making me understand I don't heal as fast as i used to.

My job requires i use a computer and be mobile. I can't do those things then bills don't get paid.

Getting older....slowing down to enjoy what's around.

Cept in the Mustang. It's the fastest real car on the street. ****in up anything LS based on the daily. :)

Latest posts