• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Why is it not rock bouncing on the left coast?

snoball

Been watching a few vids from out west and wonder why it's so cool for them to use a bunch of skinny pedal to get over tough ****. Why is it different from southern wheelers using throttle? After reading comments on Cole and BK vids its crazy how much people criticize southern wheeling where we HAVE to use skinny pedal. I know it's like beating a dead horse with the bs on pirate, but damn!

Because Nolan Grogan "WNGROG" is from Mississippi and when he coined the term "Rock Bouncing" he was in the Southeast covering Southeast events, I believe for a short time before that moment it was called "Bug Mashing" true story.

Re: Re: Why is it not rock bouncing on the left coast?

I think "rock bouncer" sounds pretty gay.

Seemed to me like it was originally meant to be a derogatory term, but everyone just kinda accepted it and started using it...

Maybe the BLM and their "Go Green" attitudes are holding them back? Isn't this a big factor in the KOH restrictions?Besides, I've never seen a Prius on 44's. molaughmolaugh

i think all the guys on the west coast need to come here and ride. they dont have a clue whats its like dealing with slick dirt on rocks when there rocks are like sand paper

Burttyler said:
i think all the guys on the west coast need to come here and ride. they dont have a clue whats its like dealing with slick dirt on rocks when there rocks are like sand paper

Its a combination of this, and the fact that out west there are very few trees and most of the land is public. Trees dont grow there like they do here. They don't grasp the concept that no matter how many sapplings get mowed down on a climb here, after 6mo of no use you would never be able to tell b/c the growth would take back over

fl-krawler said:
Its a combination of this, and the fact that out west there are very few trees and most of the land is public. Trees dont grow there like they do here. They don't grasp the concept that no matter how many sapplings get mowed down on a climb here, after 6mo of no use you would never be able to tell b/c the growth would take back over

It amazes me how true this is.

There is a trail in Pickett that only a few people run (it's a bit rougher than all the other trails in the area, and not very DD/Rzr/ATV friendly. It seems that we literally have to clear the road every year when we run it. The damn limbs will fill the trail in and thumb size saplings pop up in the middle of the road...

TBItoy said:
I think "rock bouncer" sounds pretty gay.

Seemed to me like it was originally meant to be a derogatory term, but everyone just kinda accepted it and started using it...

x2 :dblthumb:

I'm surprised the term "Rock Bouncing" ain't made it on Wikipedia yet molaugh

TacomaJD said:
x2 :dblthumb:

I'm surprised the term "Rock Bouncing" ain't made it on Wikipedia yet molaugh

We can submit it ...

My wife made up a term "Sun-Sleepy," referring to the feeling you get from being out in the sun for a long period and submitted it to Urban Dictionary just because I told her it was dumb. They returned her submission with an email saying that the term is now in the Urban Dictionary. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sun+sleepy

fl-krawler said:

Why do you think it is that we seem to be able to understand their wheeling conditions but they do not understand ours? Surely we are not more intelligent as a geographical group??? I totally agree here and it is weird that they just can not fathom it. Even when one of them comes out here and tries to explain it back home they are like, "Huh? I don't get it." Do they truly believe that the entire world is a desert?

Hell, 6 mo is pretty slow IMO. Out at our hunting land if you don't drive some of the roads every 3 weeks or so you can barely find them. ****, the weeds at my shop get 6' tall if I don't nuke them with chems every year!

patooyee said:
We can submit it ...

My wife made up a term "Sun-Sleepy," referring to the feeling you get from being out in the sun for a long period and submitted it to Urban Dictionary just because I told her it was dumb. They returned her submission with an email saying that the term is now in the Urban Dictionary. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sun+sleepy

Wikipedia is a little more of an achievement...Urban Dictionary has terms like "Alabama Hot Pocket". If you don't know what that is, look it up :****:

molaugh

I'm not a fan of "rock bouncer". I find it somewhat derogatory, implying the buggy just bounces like a pogo stick instead of actually working like it should. I prefer "hill killer". That's more of an applicable term to the riding style IMO.

I do however agree that any left coast interweb wheeler that ever rides on the east coast is impressed and excited about the terrain. I've been all over riding and southeast hills are my 2nd favorite behind Oklahoma rock crawling. JV rocks have nothing on Clayton to me but the immense riding opportunities there are mind boggling.

TacomaJD said:
Wikipedia is a little more of an achievement...Urban Dictionary has terms like "Alabama Hot Pocket". If you don't know what that is, look it up :****:

molaugh

"rock crawler" is defined on UD... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rock%20crawler

crawlin85cj said:
I'm not a fan of "rock bouncer". I find it somewhat derogatory, implying the buggy just bounces like a pogo stick instead of actually working like it should. I prefer "hill killer". That's more of an applicable term to the riding style IMO.

I do however agree that any left coast interweb wheeler that ever rides on the east coast is impressed and excited about the terrain. I've been all over riding and southeast hills are my 2nd favorite behind Oklahoma rock crawling. JV rocks have nothing on Clayton to me but the immense riding opportunities there are mind boggling.

I call 'em "hill shooters" "hill shootin buggies" - (anything with big power that kills hills)

and the pile-o-tube buggies (Smith style) either "Southern style buggies" or "Aetna style"....

TacomaJD said:

molaugh

Defeatist. :)

We called'em "slingshot buggies"... and we stayed far far away from anyone in them... Alot of my friends still do to this day. I don't though, cause I'm a :tc

patooyee said:
Why do you think it is that we seem to be able to understand their wheeling conditions but they do not understand ours? Surely we are not more intelligent as a geographical group??? I totally agree here and it is weird that they just can not fathom it. Even when one of them comes out here and tries to explain it back home they are like, "Huh? I don't get it." Do they truly believe that the entire world is a desert?

Hell, 6 mo is pretty slow IMO. Out at our hunting land if you don't drive some of the roads every 3 weeks or so you can barely find them. ****, the weeds at my shop get 6' tall if I don't nuke them with chems every year!

The first time I went out west I was really shell shocked at how dry it was and the lack of vegetation. Unless you have experienced both regions its really tough to know just how different they are

One of my first (rock crawling) wheeling experiences was in Arizona just outside of Tempe. I was racing in a National MTB race and Toyota had a FJ demo when the new FJ first came out. They hired some offroad driving instructor to take people out and actually let them wheel. It was legit...and amazing what a stock FJ would climb out there. Our group climbed some pretty steep rocks with a few guys that had little to no offroad experience at all.

snoball said:
One of my first (rock crawling) wheeling experiences was in Arizona just outside of Tempe. I was racing in a National MTB race and Toyota had a FJ demo when the new FJ first came out. They hired some offroad driving instructor to take people out and actually let them wheel. It was legit...and amazing what a stock FJ would climb out there. Our group climbed some pretty steep rocks with a few guys that had little to no offroad experience at all.

Here would be an awesome comparison. Imagine putting drivers with little to no offroad experiance in a stock ifs FJ on at tires behind the wheel at aetna after a week of rain. There wouldn't be straight body panel or still funtional winch anywhere to be found :****: