• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Windrock Security

After thinking about this more i decided to give the park a call and just express some of the frustrations that I encountered this past weekend.

The way i look at this kind of thing is that if they don't hear feedback whether it is Positive or Negative the staff may not be aware of what is going on and they can take this information and make things better.

When i called the phone number to the General Store was not working so i called the Campgrounds number, the lady that answered the phone was very nice and said that she was the public relations person for the park....so i informed her of the experience that i had with the security, i also stated to her that if the security folks took a more positive approach to the customers that things would be better received by the parties involved. i was informed by the lady i was talking to that they have heard some of these same things in the past about their security. i told her that this was my first trip to the park and i loved the experience except for this aspect, and i also made sure she knew that i understood the need for a higher level of security during an event, However, the security folks could use a more common sense approach to dealing with the public. WHICH IS A WIN WIN. When people have a good experience at a park they will be more willing to tell others what a great place it is and how they enjoyed going there (for example AOP) but if you have a bad experience you will tell far more people about the bad experience.

it is my opinion that if people express this to the park the more feedback they get about the security it may help with their interactions with the folks that are paying to enjoy this great place which ultimately helps pay their paychecks.

i will go back and hope to in the near future, and i hope this changes...i think if they hear respectful feedback they will change this image.

^^^^^^This guy gets it! Thank you for taking this approach. One voice can be the voice of many, but many voices can be heard much louder.

#windrockridersmatter

SB406 said:
Until this weekend, I'd never been to Windrock. I came down from Buffalo with a couple of buddies to watch the races and pick up some parts (we put a Dana 60 in the trunk of our rental car :****:).

Anyway, I didn't get to see any more of the park, but we did have a run in with a **** security guy. During the last SxS hill, they let some people up on the hill, as long as you were 65 feet from the side of the course. We respected this rule and found a spot to watch. I tried climbing up higher to one of the roads cut across the hill. I was met by a security guy who told me I couldn't come any higher than where he was (standing on the fire road). I said, I understand, 65 feet to the side of the course, so no closer across the hill.... He said yeah, but you also can't come any higher. Meaning I had to stand on the steep ass hill side rather than the level road 3 feet away. It was no closer to the course. Whatever. I wasn't gonna argue with this asshole. I stood where I was and watched.

After the SxS's finished, they let us stay up there for the bouncer class. We were a good distance across the hill, on the fire road that the tough guy denied me from earlier ::). Some people were standing on the road that cuts across the top of the hill, also a good distance from the actual course. That same **** made all of those people move off the top and slide down a pretty steep section to the road we were on. I don't know what this dude's problem was, but trucks don't usually roll uphill and 100 feet to the side through trees. The worst part is, he sent all of those people down onto the road that was being used to drive out broken buggies that rolled. I spotted a couple competitors through the crowd so nobody got run into.

Other than that, we had a great time.... I guess long story short, there's assholes in every crowd. The only one I encountered Saturday had "Security" on his shirt and a gun on his hip.

I was up around that fire road as media and we were briefed to stay to the side of the road at all times due to it being an emergency exit and recovery road. Also that is where the competitor vehicles would exit earlier in the day. No excuse for being rude of course but that at least was the reasoning

Re:

tonybolton said:
With this thread steering into a trash on the ground thread, I'd like state that windrock is not completely trash filled. Yes, there are some areas where you find some but the place is alot nicer than it was 2 years ago.

Thankfully the cleanliness is up trending as opposed to the welcoming some are receiving I guess.

The wife and I have been down there 4 times. The first time 5 years ago and we could not get over how many empties we seen out on the trails. If you picked most of the up and turned them in for scrap you could have bought a new 42" pitbull tire. It was the same the second year. Then we had to skip a year (work).
We were surprised last year and again this year by how clean the trails were. Someone has put a lot of time in cleaning the trails up. They look great,.
And as far as security goes. We have only had a run in with 3 times. At the entrance to the trails, by the parking lot. The first time they only asked if we had our trail passes. after we showed him we had them he said have a good time.
The other 2 times they asked us if we had our passes. and after we showed him he then asked if we had way beer in the cooler. We said no. He asked if he could look in it. We said no problem. I got out to un strap it and he said "forget it. Go ahead and have a good time".
And also the last time his last remark was "good luck keeping up him" :rolf: We were right behind Tony.

I have never been to Windrock but I have heard a few friends say some of the security guys are a tad dickish. It all comes down to hiring the RIGHT PEOPLE and TRAINING them. They need to have an even keel and know when and how to de-escalate an issue and if it is outside their scope of authority or training, then they need to call LEO and be the best witness possible. There is nothing worse than a hot head security guard who is all jacked up on a power trip just because his shirt is yellow and says"security" across the back. These types normally take a minor issue and blow it way out of proportion and normally cause more damage due to their attitude. A lot can be accomplished by a simple" excuse me sir, can I talk to you for a moment please" and then calmly and politely explaining the violation/issue to the person in a mature and respectful manner...this will always get more results than the other method.

We have also had a runin with windrock security, or as we call him "Ranger Rick". We had 4 jeeps and it was our first day headed out to the trails, we stopped at the general store to fill up with fuel. Ranger Rick comes up and starts talking to us acting cool and then starts snooping around and asks to check our coolers. Before he even opened them we were honest and told him that there was infact alcohol in the coolers because we didnt feel comfortable leaving our expensive coolers back at camp unattended. Keep in mind, we were not even on the trails yet nor were we drinking. Ranger Rick tells us that they have very little theft at the campground and to avoid confrontation we agreed to compile all if the alcohol into one cooler and bring it back to camp. While we are reorganizing he asks for all if our I.D.s to run them, having nothing to hide we all were willing to cooperate. 10 minutes later he brings back our I.D.s and tells us all that we have been recorded in their system and if we get caught with any alcohol out there again that we would be suspended from the park. WHAT?!?! We weren't on the trails or the main road, we weren't drinking and we were all very polite and cooperative. I understand he is trying to keep the place safe but come on, recording us in the system for being completly cooperative I think is a little overboard. Just kind of rubbed us the wrong way, it's a shame because it is such a gorgeous park.

We had a kinda 50/50 experience a while back..... One **** run us down in my buggy said we was speeding.... I was running a Muncie and rockwells .... I was in granny gear:/. We exchanged **** yous to each other and agreed to disagree. He later stopped a friend coming back from town......

That being said I left my liscense at truck by accident an the gate keeper to the entrance talked with me as a friend run back to the truck for my liscense.....could have been for my permit. I can't remember. Regardless. He was cool as **** an gave me no grief about my bottle of crown an cokes n my cooler..... Just asked we not litter. I was nice too an told him we usually pack out more than we take in.......
When we came off trail. All our rigs were full of cans we picked up on trail. He even commented "you guys weren't bull shittin..... Thanks for helpin out"......

So. That's where our gang stands. But still scares us Ga boys from driving 6hrs just to have to deal with bigger assholes than ourselves......... We are starting to love AOP an chocco more an more.

Off topic because it seems people are getting mixed attitudes and not every park is for every rider....

...that's a badass buggy! Holy ****, that looks awesome!!!

Re:

I was there twice this week and they were super nice and bullshited with me while eating at the lunch trailer. Also like Tony they recognize my truck and usually ask about my cooler but don't check and just wave me on.

tnford88 said:
I was there twice this week and they were super nice and bullshited with me while eating at the lunch trailer. Also like Tony they recognize my truck and usually ask about my cooler but don't check and just wave me on.

Yea, being repeat rider locals, we get spoiled. But it's the same thing as going to your local restaurant and being carded for so long they jus end up knowing you and go ahead pour your drink of choice.

Makes me feel cool walkin' into Aubrey's and they drop down my Purple Haze Long Island Ice Tea for me. ;) Got that Pholman pull on **** like that! ;)

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I'm sure its worse on event weekends, but on normal weekends most of them are laid back and easy to deal with. This thread portrays a bad image of windrock and that bothers me. I hope people don't let a couple of bad incidents sway them from coming here and experiencing the park or coming back to experience it again. There are 2 sides to every story and somewhere in the middle is the absolute truth. You never know what kind of attitudes were presented with each encounter. I know a lot of times (I know its not right) I give what I am getting. If someone approaches me with an attitude, I generally give the same back. I am probably one of the most defiant people you would meet, but I don't like the direction this thread has gone.

kushKrawlin said:
I wouldn't go to Winrock cause u and Tony may be there. As for my respect for police and security .. Sorry pat. Ur not gonna change my mind. I love them all and respect the **** outta them.

[Kush] Green Buds Matter [/Kush]

Tony how long would it really take someone to ride the whole park if they stayed on main trails? The place seems huge looking at from a maps perspective?

truckbroke said:
Tony how long would it really take someone to ride the whole park if they stayed on main trails? The place seems huge looking at from a maps perspective?

Days + days.

Even hauling ass on 4wheelers you run out of fuel before you ride the "whole park".

The trails also connect to other areas (Royal Blue WMA, North Cumberland WMA, Brimstone...)

Most people drive trucks/crawlers that far because its literally 100s of miles of trails/roads.