• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

would you run a ford 5.0L in a buggy?

ok now im looking at the pontiac supercharger 3.8L 3800, the tf727 bolts up to it and stock makes 240hp, with minor mods it can get up to300hp, seems like a lot of aftermarket goodies available, weights about 400lbs and i can find whole cars around here running for $600-700, by the time i pull the motor n all the parst i need and just scrap the res it will probably only cost me $500 or so. any thoughts on this eng?
i know im kinda all over the board but im trying to get the best bang for the buck, going to build a trail rig not a bouncer or crawler i want something i can just hit any trail/obstical with and have fun. lighter the better

STROKERYOTA said:
ok now im looking at the pontiac supercharger 3.8L 3800, the tf727 bolts up to it and stock makes 240hp, with minor mods it can get up to300hp, seems like a lot of aftermarket goodies available, weights about 400lbs and i can find whole cars around here running for $600-700, by the time i pull the motor n all the parst i need and just scrap the res it will probably only cost me $500 or so. any thoughts on this eng?
i know im kinda all over the board but im trying to get the best bang for the buck, going to build a trail rig not a bouncer or crawler i want something i can just hit any trail/obstical with and have fun. lighter the better

IIRC these are based on the buick 3.8, if i am right, they are super strong! the do pull around those 4 door family tanks pretty well. .. cool factor of a s/c too! ;)

The aftermarket and used parts for a 5.0 is huge. If your not completely happy with the motor N/A then buy a used super charger and slap it on. Its not hard to find that stuff used. Plus it will sound better than everyone else you run with. skully

sledneck said:
The aftermarket and used parts for a 5.0 is huge. If your not completely happy with the motor N/A then buy a used super charger and slap it on. Its not hard to find that stuff used. Plus it will sound better than everyone else you run with. skully

there is a guy on corral that makes adapters to use stock take off superchargers from either 03/04 cobra or lightning on a host of lower intakes... turns out to be like a kenne bell but you end up with like $800 in the whole thing depending on how good of a deal you can find on a used head unit. full boost almost instantly off idle! ive been trying to get fordcontraption to do it.

http://www.jdbmods.com/Products.html

jneese9125 said:
How many mustangs have you seen with the ls set up? Now compare that to how many 5.0s you've seen in camaros. lol

this is actually more of a testimony to the aftermarket support and proficency of the fox body platform for racing than for the LS... all you have to do is ask the guys that have done it... not taking anything away from the LS though. you can find a fox mustang with just about ANY motor if you look hard enough... you wont say that about a camaro.

Re: Re: Re: would you run a ford 5.0L in a buggy?

mikepotts said:
this is actually more of a testimony to the aftermarket support and proficency of the fox body platform for racing than for the LS... all you have to do is ask the guys that have done it... not taking anything away from the LS though. you can find a fox mustang with just about ANY motor if you look hard enough... you wont say that about a camaro.

X2
working on f bodies sucks

I have a pretty built 5.0 in my jeep, personally I wish that I had just put a damn lq4 in it when the 5.0 decided to destroy the rod bearings but thats me. If the motor had been stock then I would have gone LS, but since it has cam, alum. heads, gt40 style intake, injectors, tune, etc it's pretty damn fun motor and was worth fixing. I'm also running a built C4 ( rebuilt it while motor was out) and the jeep has no problem putting power to the ground now with a proper trans. And yes, 5.0 with a cam sounds awesome!

what i want to know is why no body is running the new yota 5.7 all aluminum DOHC and a torque monster :dunno:

wannabe said:
what i want to know is why no body is running the new yota 5.7 all aluminum DOHC and a torque monster :dunno:

because there is zero aftermarket for it, they are relatively new and not available, oh and they are fukin huge. Pretty much like any DOHC motor.

I guess the better question is, "Why would anybody want to run the 5.7 yota motor?"