YJ needs a new Battery

Turfmode

What battery should I get for my YJ?
Optima or other sealed agm battery?
How many cranking amps?
If optima yellow or red top?

Jeep has a SBC 350 on propane.
FB_IMG_1592149161915.jpg

Dont go Optima. Everyone seems to be only getting two years out of them before they fail. I used to use them but now they dont seem to hold up. I am currently trying a AGM from Advanced Auto. Their silver series or maybe it was platinum. At any rate order on line with one of their discounts and perk rewards if you can, it will be sub $200 dollars after the core return. I would go for 850cca and at least 120min on reserve.

I gave up on Optima years ago myself. I run Odyssey batteries now....absolutely love them..

One and done

Yep, again a no vote for Optima. Definitely go AGM. I've had good out of the Advance AGM as well. But one of the best out there is the Northstar, but they are super expensive!

Yeah Chad, the Deka AGM is pretty good from what I can tell. That is what was already in the Durango we bought 18 months ago, no trouble yet.

Hmm, that's interesting. Our Durango sometimes goes weeks without being driven, especially lately since the Corona virus crap. And it has always fired right up.
Idk it was in a older f150 I had maybe it was just the truck but once I put a different battery in I never had that problem maybe I just had the one bad one.

I gotcha, who knows. Our Durango is a 2012, we bought it in Jan 2019. I can't remember what the code date is on the battery and it's not easy to see cause it is under the passenger seat, but I know it's a few years old. Like I said, hasn't given us any trouble yet.

I will also say that the 2006 Durango we had before this one sat alot more, and I put one of the Advance Auto AGM in it and never had any problems for like 3 years before we traded it in.

I'm on 6 years with my DieHard Platnium AGM Group 65. Unfortunately no longer made, but it is the exact same battery as an Odyssey.

I don't know the exact brands/specs, but most batteries are the same. Deka is a very large manufacturer from what I remember. I have an Odyssey PC1200, and it has been awesome. What you can get for the extra cost is the outer metal jacket/shell and the upgraded terminals/lugs. Northstar is another good option, Derek West comes to mind as a sponsored racer. There is nothing wrong with a battery from the parts store, though. If nothing else it is supporting a local business and should be very easy to return/exchange.

The last Optima yellow top i bought lasted less than 2 years. Got it warrantied and the replacement was going bad when I sold the car... Junk since Johnson Controls bought them...
I've had older yellow tops last 7-8 years.
Used Odysseys in motorcycles and the are great. Truck sized are wicked expensive though.
I've heard Northstar are good.
Batteries plus sells (sold?) rebranded Northstars...

I have been using these batteries in several vehicles and have been recommending them to a lot of people with no complaints. They are manufactured by DEKA on the same assembly line as the Odyssey and fit the fabricated battery boxes Barnes4wd sells. They are both deep cycle and starting.

I just had an X2 Power battery total warranty denied because it was brought in with less than 10 volts. It was 2.5 years old. I was not happy Batteries Plus called it battery neglect. So dont think I will get another X2.