• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

You can't take it with you

Gittinit

I have a fried who is fighting cancer he has always been into anything with a motor and is a gm retiree. He has a couple barns filled with trucks and parts and is gonna have an auction next month to sell it all off. I'm gonna go by and see him tomarrow and see if there is anything I can afford. There will be no lack of want I'm sure.

All this is kinda weird for me. I'm sure its no cake walk for him, and it makes me curious what happens to your stuff when your gone?

I hope my son now 14 will someday show an interest it motorsports of any type but at the moment it seems he might sell my stuff for scrap if I were to die tomarrow... there is something to be said about a generation who has the option to have what I couldn't at that age but chooses not to care. ::)

I can give a little insight to what happens to people's stuff when they are gone. In addition to my day job I have a booth at a flea market. I buy things at thrift stores, auctions, and estate sales. I have also gotten calls from the family of the deceased to come buy things as well. There are companies that will come in and value items, price it all, and handle the sale of an entire house full of things. In the beginning for me it was a little strange, you are walking into someone's home and it is usually pretty much like they left it. But after you go to enough sales you get over that. Like with anything, some of the sales are better than others. Some of the companies price things better than others.

Thrift stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army get a lot of donations from people that are donating grandma's Corning Ware and other household items they have no use for. You would be amazed at the amount of Corning Ware I get from those places that I sell.

I guess I needed ton be more specific. What happens to your stuff when you go?.. as in do ya have plans for who to leave it to, or what is to be done with it? Those without much stuff might not have so much to worry about but even your average wheeler has a rig a trailer tools spares and all the general goodies that go along with the hobbie.
My inquires are more hobie/motorsports related after all that is what this forum is to me. Knowing what happens to the dishes and general household/ clothing items is likley the same for anyone and I have been through some of that when my father passed though he didn't have much to worry about. Funeral arrangements were a bigger issue in his case, and I had that taken care of for myself and my wife before I was out of my twentys.
I go prepared, always have but this isn't something I have ever given much though before now.

In my opinion, wrap up as many things as you can in a Will. Way too many folks die without a Will then the family gets torn apart trying to split up someone's stuff! Spelling out funeral arrangements is nice, but protect your stuff with a Will to really cover your :cougar:

If I pass I have already talked to my wife and best friend. He is going to take all my **** and sell it for her. My son is only 11 months so the cash would be better at this point.

Everyone needs a will even if you don't think you have anything, you prob do (retirement, separate savings, one name on a car or house). My wife is a family law attorney and the laws/rules are crazy about how your stuff gets split/taxed if you pass.