• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who has cut the cable?

patooyee said:
I'm experimenting with Kodi and a Firestick right now. So far it's pretty complicated with mixed results.

my sister in law uses Kodi exclusively and I played around with it...

Ultimately you can get everything through kodi that you can get through cable. I realized quickly though that the cost of cable was to make all that content easily accessible. Especially for sports, I spent more time dicking with flaky streams and bullshit to make it worth my while. Ultimately, I want for myself and more importantly, my kids when they wake up at 6am on sunday morning to be able to press the damn button and see what they want without having to go neckbeard hacker on kodi to pull up some dora the explorer or whatever.

If I could do live in network Atlanta Braves games via the intenet though, I *think* that between netflix, Amazon Prime and SlingTv Id probably cut the cord.

Does the headphone function and voice search justify the $25 difference in the Roku 2 and 3?

TBItoy said:
The menus, searches, and such work faster on the 3.

(I have a 3 and a stick FWIW)

I have a stick and a 3. I would not buy a stick again. It is grossly under-processed.

Whelp...shut it all down today. Got a Roku Stick, 1, 2 and a 3.

I get EPIX through charter. It has old movies. Netflix used for kids shows. Besides that, I have used up most of my day going to buy what I could get local and setting them all up. I even put one up at the store.

One thing I have noticed is that the volume is much louder than it used to be. Time will tell how this goes. Still need to get an antenna. I've been trying to stick to a budget so, the savings from cutting the cable is what is going to fund the antenna. Two more months before that can be bought.

My tv and high speed internet bill through our local fiber optic provide (Farmers Telephone), is $166 a month, about $70 of which is internet and is pretty much the only reliable high speed offered where I live, so regardless I'm stuck with the $70 interwebs bill. So roughly $95 a month for tv. I wish there was more info on the Playstation Vue, need to research that some more or call them at least. It sounds like a banging deal.

Re:

I cut the cab 3 months ago and don't miss it at all I got 50mbs from time Warner for 35 a month wich ends up costing 50 after everything I have a fire stick on one tv and fire tv box on the other the fire tv is way better and worth the extra money I have kodi on both and it's cool but I end up watching shows on amazon prime most of the time and it's great for cartoons for my daughter

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Who has cut the cable?

Mongo44 said:
I got my Roku 3 yesterday and killing cable in the next few days. Looking forward to it being gone.
I realized this morning that my kid is going to grow up with no concept of "channel surfing" lol

Re: Re: Who has cut the cable?

TBItoy said:
I realized this morning that my kid is going to grow up with no concept of "channel surfing" lol

That's the main thing I'm afraid of losing. It seems like going to a Roku or whatever would now mean you have to make a choice on what to watch. Hell I think half the time I wouldn't even wanna fool with turning it on. The glory of channel surfing is that it's simplistic.

Re: Re: Re: Who has cut the cable?

TacomaJD said:
That's the main thing I'm afraid of losing. It seems like going to a Roku or whatever would now mean you have to make a choice on what to watch. Hell I think half the time I wouldn't even wanna fool with turning it on. The glory of channel surfing is that it's simplistic.
Haha, this is exactly my thought. You could always channel surf the over-the-air channels, I guess.

Re: Re: Re: Who has cut the cable?

TacomaJD said:
That's what my parents struggle with when they visit (they usually stay the weekend since the grandboy was born).

Mom's not much of a TV watcher, but she always has some cooking or gardening channel on for "background noise". Actually choosing a show to watch is more time/thought than she wants to put into TV.

Dad Always seems to be looking for some show that is not available on whatever app he's searching... Always.

I watch YouTube 90% of the time. Literally hundreds of hours of video for basically any topic you'd want to watch. I subscribe/follow? to most any channel I come across that has decent production value.

At this point I HATE trying to find something to watch on a live TV service.

Here is a great review vid on the Playstation Vue. I'm leaning closer. Looks like it shits on Netflix, Hulu, and all that other junk. Can be accessed via Playstation 3 or 4 and through Amazon Fire box / stick. I read the fire stick processes a little slower than the fire box, so the box may be worth the extra money. Would have to have a separate device for each room. In my case, I would buy a Playstation for the living room, and a fire box for my bedroom. Looks like the only negative I've found is the ability of pausing live tv. Can only pause for 5 minutes on Vue, as opposed to 1 hour with other providers.

http://youtu.be/rQn5dQgoz9Q

Since I first read this thread a couple weeks ago I've cut it off.

I'm using a Wii-U for Amazon Prime and Netflix (using my Dad's account) on my living room TV. I have a Firestick with Kodi in my bedroom.

For the kids, Netflix is where it's at. Kodi is great for movies and the few shows that I watch. All I ever did with cable anyway was DVR TV shows and watch them later anyway. Kodi is perfect for that.

I hate Sportsing so no worries there. I also hate channel surfing with a passion... Makes me wonder why I didn't do this sooner.

I can't get anything on Kodi to work worth a damn. The streams are always dead. What little does work is always extremely low quality. Kodi is basically useless for me. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure. Everything I want plays crystal clear 95% of the time. Every now and then I get a dead stream but it's usually on very popular movies. Deadpool, for example, was a PITA to watch because so many other people were trying to watch it at the same time. I watch The Blacklist as soon as it's available and have never had a single hiccup during a show. I'd watched TONS of movies and had very little issues.

What add-ons are you using? I'm using 1Channel and Genesis primarily.

Perhaps it's your internet connection? I have the basic internet service that my cable company provides.

You have KODI on a Firestick?

Re:

Exodus is these best on kodi right now I think the lambda guys are letting genissus die I think salts is good 1 chanel is ok I did find that the fire tv is way better and also not using a biuld with a million things on it helps I had the beast for a wile but it constantly updated so now I just use the wizard and load only the ones I use

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've been using 1Chan mostly but it came with a large build and almost nothing in it works. I think I need to wipe it clean and start over. And yes, Firestick.

How do you even find good builds though? I Google for recent recommendations and by the time I install any of them they are dead already.