• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who has cut the cable?

Re:

What I meant was I want a good Walmart antenna to physically see what I can get.....if I don't like it....jus take it back.

I'm sure I'm told I can get x amount of channels. ...but I'll only believe it when I see it.

Just going to follow up on this. I've had the cable cut for about a year now. We pay for internet, Netflix, and intermittent Sling TV during sports season. I didn't miss a single game this football season. I do miss Science and Discover channels a lot. But not enough to get our cable bill back. I also installed a good OTA digital antenna in my attic that services all 3 TV's in the house. The signal is crystal clear, super HD. To be honest, 99% of the programming sucks though. We only ever use it to get local news now and then, mainly when something important is happening locally, and to watch network football. I'm glad I have it but it would not be a good substitute for someone who is expecting cable-quality programming. I'm about to cancel my Amazon Prime membership. Their prices on most everything have gone up so high that it is almost always cheaper to buy on eBay. Their programming doesn't differ enough from Netflix to justify both. Netflix has everything Amazon does and then some. Netflix's original programming is actually pretty good, too.

Re:

I cancelled Netflix....old movies I never cared about....sitcoms I lost interest in.

I use Crackle for random movies and use sites like http://putlocker.is/featured/1 to watch new movies. All free.

I've toned down my cable access too....but not cut it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I haven't had cable in years an I don't miss :****: I do go through bout 10g a month on this dam phone thought about going to an old flip phone an just use the smart phone at places that has WiFi ?

joho75287 said:
I'm getting close to cutting the cable. Been talking about it with the wife...

Look into slingtv.com, most of the best cable channels streamed over the internet for around $20-30 a month

Neal3000 said:
Look into slingtv.com, most of the best cable channels streamed over the internet for around $20-30 a month

I have Sling. It does have a lot of options but so many of the great channels are add-ons. If you added all the channels they have you would be spending more than cable and still have fewer channels. The thing I like about Sling though is that there is no contract. So you can turn it on during football season and turn it off after the Championship game. They will subsidize a streaming box for you if you sign up for 3 months at a time. So sign up at the beginning of football, get your half price Roku, watch football, and keep the Roku when you turn it off.

For $45 a month you can have everything except hbo and cinemax, for $70 a month you have them too, thats less than half a typical cable or satellite bill

Neal3000 said:
For $45 a month you can have everything except hbo and cinemax, for $70 a month you have them too, thats less than half a typical cable or satellite bill

+ your internet bill.

Re:

Just saw a commercial for Playstation Vue. It's a tv app downloadable on Playstation consoles and Amazon Fire media devices. They have 3 packages, think it was $29.95, $34.95, and $44.95, then cheap add ons for special channels. Looked like all packages included most all the channels I care about, including AMC, Comedy Central, and Science Channel. Gotta look into it more, looks like a solid deal and a good excuse to buy a PS4 and a Call of Duty game or two! The highest package is less than half as much as what I pay for cable now.

Re: Re: Who has cut the cable?

TBItoy said:
I doubt cable vs internet is an "either/or" debate in most homes

It's kind of the entire debate. He's saying if you cut the cable, pay for internet, and then get a fully loaded Sling TV (Internet TV) package it's cheaper than cable. I posit that, if it is, it's certainly not THAT much cheaper.

What's the cheapest internet available? Like $30? So that's. $75/mo for Sling + internet. I was only paying $115/mo for cable + internet to begin with. I wouldn't have bothered cutting my cable for $35/mo savings. You don't get everything on Sling that I did with Cable either, very little comparatively. Plus, the internet speeds you're going to get for $30/mo aren't going to make you very happy when you do try to stream Sling.

I guess my point ultimately is that you still have to sacrifice some programming to cut the cable and achieve true savings.

I've never had cable, though I did have satellite for three years. All it did was get more expensive. I bailed on that and now only have Internet. We share a Netflix and Hulu account with my brother in law, but I hardly watch TV, so I'm not concerned about that content. Who has time to vegetate? The Internet is enough of a vaccuum time waster for myself.

1 month and counting it down. $145 a month for a whole house system with 2 DVR's. Gonna be nice having an extra $1500 or so in the budget for the year. Already have good inter webs, just gotta reread this whole thread again. And a bump for any new info from you guys that beat me to it.

I'm experimenting with Kodi and a Firestick right now. So far it's pretty complicated with mixed results.

patooyee said:
I'm experimenting with Kodi and a Firestick right now. So far it's pretty complicated with mixed results.

Be mindful of how grey you go with Kodi. There is more illegal than legal on Kodi.

Re: Re: Who has cut the cable?

lowbudgetjunk said:
Be mindful of how grey you go with Kodi. There is more illegal than legal on Kodi.
Basically anything worth having is illegal. But I know several families around here who have had nothing but for a long time now and I don't see anyone getting hauled off by men in black suits yet. At this point I would be happy with just a reliably functional experience though. As of now it's just a waste of money and time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk