• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

BeerJ's BuzzBuggy Build-o-rama!

This thing is looking sharp.. :****: just curious as to how you built those high steer arms on your knuckles? Awesome work tho..

iron lotus said:
This thing is looking sharp.. :****: just curious as to how you built those high steer arms on your knuckles? Awesome work tho..
Thanks man. The arms came from Jessie Haines. Hit him up on pirate and he'll hook you up.

Alrighty, like I said, I'm kinda (totally) winging it here. I've gotten advice from a bunch of people regarding design. Mostly from guys on here and maybe some from one of the biggest names in rock racing. The pics up there ^^^^ are at full bump. The following are ride height, full droop, and full articulation. In that order.
None of the heims are maxed out and as far as I can tell, it cycles smoothly. Ran the numbers through the calc and they all look good, so I've been told. Anti-squat is on the upper end but it doesn't take much adjustment to the CoG to make it swing either way so I'm not sure how much faith I have in the accuracy there. Also, with just hose clamps snugging the links to the rod ends, nothing is pulling apart. Aside from doing this all again with tires and shocks on, is it safe to say I might be in good shape?

Looking good man.. sorry to keep asking about it but I was wondering if you had to preheat and post heat the knuckles or what kind of tricks you used?

iron lotus said:
Looking good man.. sorry to keep asking about it but I was wondering if you had to preheat and post heat the knuckles or what kind of tricks you used?
No worries. I heated them to about 400°, Mig'd them in hot, hammer peened them and let them cool in a welding blanket. If I remember correctly, there's something like 20+ inches of weld bead holding each one to the knuckle and they're double shear with the factory tie rod hole, which needs to be opened up to 7/8ths. I'm hoping they hold.

They look awesome, that is the route I'm gonna have to go with mine, that's why I'm asking.. I'm in the process of cutting out some of the chunk right now for my lower link mounts..

As long as they work they'll be worth it. Not quite as easy as just bolting on some arms but I'd rather save a few bucks and do a little work. thumb.gif

Thanks man, I hope you're right. At what point would you say it's safe to order links? I like the numbers and nothing binds. Can't really see what could/should change at this point.

Got a bunch of parts in. Still waiting on a couple of parts before I can start the front end. Hoping to get the rear shocks mounted this weekend if I don't melt first. Shout out to WOD for the super fast turnaround. 2" uppers, 2.25" lowers.

And a shout out to Liu Sheng Jing for making some cheap stainless headers that I should have no problem making work. Almost like they were made for this thing.

Im84 said:
Gonna be drool
I'm starting to think so too. thumb.gif

pholmann said:
Hurry your Yankee ass up so we can ride together. :flipoff1: Hell I just want to ride. It's been too long.
I heard them school teachers are always looking for side gigs during the summer. All the beer you can drink and a couch to crash on if you wanna come help me hurry. :drinkers: :flipoff1:

Tinkerd around a little more today. She's half a roller! Now on to the front.

Still gonna add some bracing to the top of the shock mounts.

Obligatory weld kinda close up

Also got the steering arms tacked up.

giphy.gif