• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sisters

What thickness is the material used in mounting the ram and those steer arms on top of the axle. Maybe I'm just used to 1" thick high steer arms but that **** looks too thin. Looks like 1/8" sheet metal for all the mounting and truss. Is that for weight?

Re: Re: Sisters

pholmann said:
What thickness is the material used in mounting the ram and those steer arms on top of the axle. Maybe I'm just used to 1" thick high steer arms but that **** looks too thin. Looks like 1/8" sheet metal for all the mounting and truss. Is that for weight?
I'd bet a stack that he is going to put another tab under them to double shear the heim, and box them too.

I'd hope on a build of this caliber that he is using chromo or some other high strength sheet like xt100, rather than the ol A36 hot roll that most of us are used to (which requires thicker material to hold up)

sledneck said:
X2 it's for looks. I will give him credit as he does a good job walking the cup and free hand weave. I really wish he would do more prep work and clean up the tubing before he welds it. But what do I know I only build locomotives.

I saw on tv (show called How's It Made actually) how they build locomotives....they had robot welders making several passes around everything that welded onto their frames.

Re: Re: Sisters

TBItoy said:
I'd bet a stack that he is going to put another tab under them to double shear the heim, and box them too.

I'd hope on a build of this caliber that he is using chromo or some other high strength sheet like xt100, rather than the ol A36 hot roll that most of us are used to (which requires thicker material to hold up)

If my memory is right, the bomber kits come with all the tabs and junk in chromo.

Batmobile Will said:
:rolf: I'll put mine junk yard build against your chatty whisky any day lets quit web wheelin and make this happen

Oh I won't be missing this!!!

2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO
Next one is in the oven!

Batmobile Will said:
:rolf: I'll put mine junk yard build against your chatty whisky any day lets quit web wheelin and make this happen

Special kind of supid. :****:

bbone said:
I saw on tv (show called How's It Made actually) how they build locomotives....they had robot welders making several passes around everything that welded onto their frames.
Not in America lol All the frames are welded by real humans 0.45 flux and 0.55 metal core for a few parts.

I guess it's a given I'm not very quick at building cars by myself. Hopefully I get to do the aluminum fabrication too. I bet PJ can do the wiring, and then we can hook up in a race with Batmobile Will.... But only if he hooks up with Andrew in a race first. We'll take the winner, lol

NOt trying to be mean or ugly so please don't take it that way but...

We get that you do a pretty weld, don't need to see pictures of everything you weld. ;D Also I would hate for you to miss a deadline by welding over a good weld already.

I would like to read a little tech and see pictures of the progress. That is a better way to grow your business.

Oh, sorry.... I forgot to explain. I built all of that front bumper earlier around the Bomber front end. The version I built will be fairly easy to replace after the car crushes into something.

Are these twin sisters? Could you give us the run down on spec's for the two? Keep at it looking good!

Care to explain the "replaceable" bumper?

Will is be clamped on? Is that what the half sleeved piece is for?

scrambled said:

I'm sure it will be welded on! The ultra 4 guys don't mind ramming into eachother that's why they have horns also! The front and rear of competitive cars look like they have been in a demolition derby after koh!

scrambled said:

They build the bumpers to meet U4 rules about the chassis being in front of the tires. They are built out of thinner tube so it bends when you hit someone and doesn't tweak the chassis itself.

Weld on and replaceable don't seem like the same thing.

So you dent it, cut if of the plate to replace, instead of the chassis?

Mine were bolted on using heims the same size as the steering. It works good and provides spare parts

2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO
Next one is in the oven!

I built this one to be welded on. When it gets messed up, it can be cut off and sanded down to the stainless steel, to be rebuilt again. Maybe carrying a ready tie rod, will be a quicker fix if broke.