• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sisters

Just curious...how long did it take you to complete the welds around the tube and plate in that picture. I have very little hands on TIG experience so just wondering.

Looks good

Thanks. At least 2 - 3 times mig weld time. I don't weld on anything that isn't cool enough to touch with my hand, and probably a half of a notch at a time. And work in the dual passes.
Probably why it looks like I have 40 things going on at once. I do it on purpose.

Dynamite Design said:
I don't weld on anything that isn't cool enough to touch with my hand
This lost me. You weld one joint,then let it almost completely cool down before you do the one next to it?

He is probably welding the portion of the joint that is easiest to get to for the time being, and when all the fab is done, disassemble and fully weld everything else since its much easier to roll the chassis into good position that it is to contort yourself to see some weld joints.

Personally, I'm more interested to see why the ram was fabbed in offset to the drivers side (notice the link mounts in relation to the ram mounts in the pic). While I understand sometimes there is no choice for clearance reasons, you inadvertently affect ackerman angle by doing so. The difference is minuscule but with the offset the buggy will steer sharper one direction over the other
20151010_022651_zpstlh8vurf.jpg

Well. This Tard's late for the party, dam I hate to ask a dumb question. But are these chassis all cut and bent and shipped in a box ready to assemble? Just put it together and weld it up kinda thing? Also Lately I have been looking at a lot of U4 cars, and have seen a few with the clamp on front bumpers. Really don't know why I just said that. Maybe torrets kickin In..

What's the thickness of material used for the link mounts? Strength is in the shape, not the thickness?

Maybe the ram is more stroke than needed. Bottoms out in the ram turning right, hits the stops (if there is any on this type of axle) turning left.

We'd know the answers to these questions and many more in the future if he'd provide some actual tech instead of just pretty pictures. Maybe we should just collect the pictures and dump them in the welding thread. He seems to have just started this thread to show off instead of actually sharing the work he's doing.

WE NEED TECH!

Please!
(kinder & gentler)

If we could get answers on why he welded over perfectly good welds I'd be super impressed. :drinkers:

jeepmedic said:
If we could get answers on why he welded over perfectly good welds I'd be super impressed. :drinkers:

Because gayness, duh. I wonder if a thread has ever been locked due to extreme gayness? :Joc:

Other than the Spidertrax parts, the entire car is 4130 chromoly. The plate material is 3/16, 1/8, and 1/16.

The ram is centered. The upper link bolt on the right side is the offset part. Gives us the up travel to drive it like a dirtbike with the offset motor.

jeepmedic said:
:JRich:WHY DID YOU WELD OVER GOOD WELDS? :wtflol:

Because I can...

Because it looks pretty...

Because that's what welders do...

Because it gets panties wet...

Because my boss said to...

Because I had time to burn...

Because that part has never failed...

Because I weld errrrrrything...

Because hot sisters are awesome...

Because pigs fly after a meth dose...

2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO
Next one is in the oven!

crawlin85cj said:
Because I weld errrrrrything...

2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO
Next one is in the oven!

Winnar.^^^^^

I'm starting to think this guy has a future in politics, he seems dang good at dodging a straight forward question!!

"Alex, I'll take "Why did he weld over the welds for $1,000.00?"..............