• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ultra 4 or rock bouncer

Re:

Since the center section is static mounted in the chassis, a high driveshaft would be more detrimental than a low one. The driveshafts would be running up hill into the passenger compartment and engine

Re:

TBItoy said:
Since the center section is static mounted in the chassis, a high driveshaft would be more detrimental than a low one. The drive shafts would be running up hill into the passenger compartment and engine

I would not be surprised if they are already running up hill in some of the single seat ifs cars, the drivetrains are way low in healy and scherer's rigs.

Uptravel would not matter due to it being solid mounted in the frame, IFS. And how would that be worse on the driveshafts, my last rig had the drive shafts level running back to the case and the ride height was 23" on 44's. Maybe ride height might be what would kill this idea, but if they are running 40's or so and wanted around 20" of belly clearance I bet it would work. But I am pretty much ignorant on desert cars. I would assume that in a few years tho there will be an independent all the way around rig wear out the bouncers in one of these series, now that there are starting to be some killer parts produced.

Elliott said:
Uptravel would not matter due to it being solid mounted in the frame, IFS. And how would that be worse on the driveshafts, my last rig had the drive shafts level running back to the case and the ride height was 23" on 44's. Maybe ride height might be what would kill this idea, but if they are running 40's or so and wanted around 20" of belly clearance I bet it would work. But I am pretty much ignorant on desert cars. I would assume that in a few years tho there will be an independent all the way around rig wear out the bouncers in one of these series, now that there are starting to be some killer parts produced.

Dean Lickliter already built an IFS/IRS bouncer. He had it at Dirty Turtle this past weekend.

Elliott said:
I assume this is for IFS right? I know I go about things different from most, but if I was going to engineer an ultimate center section for an IFS car, I would want it to be a top load setup where I could run my driveshafts as straight as I could.This would kill two problems at once. After running rockwells and never ever worrying about driveshafts I find it hard to believe that this setup isn't used more commonly in KOH style rigs.And im not saying run rocks Im saying just a top loader center section in an IFS setup, just to be clear
What are you even talking about? The driveshaft on a ifs stays in the same position tucked above the frame along the same highth as the tcase?

TBItoy said:
Since the center section is static mounted in the chassis, a high driveshaft would be more detrimental than a low one. The driveshafts would be running up hill into the passenger compartment and engine

A driveshaft connects two points why would it matter uphill sideways or downhill?

I really think some of you guys are missing the point of this part? Look at the front of a Rzr the diff is mounted to the frame the a arms are mounted to the side of the frame this is where travel and ground clearance come from the driveshaft simply has to make its way to the tcase however it can best wether it be straight shaft with a joint on each end or if it has a pillow block and multiple angles and joints! As long as the joints cancel eachother out of at cv it won't vibrate at speed!

Re: Re: Ultra 4 or rock bouncer

al1tonyota said:
A driveshaft connects two points why would it matter uphill sideways or downhill?

It doesn't.

But why would you want your pinion level with your water pump by using a top loader?

Or if you were putting the pinion level with the tcase as common (as you described), why would you want a top loader diff and have the diff/A arm mounting hanging down from the chassis?

Only to keep from being taken out of a race from a twisted driveshaft from one of those big rocks. I would want my split shafts to come out like normal and the pinion just be higher. It just seems like that would be the idea setup, driveshafts up high enough and tucked up into the frame, and the rest of the a-arms and split shafts just like they would normally be. It would be impossible to do with a standard ring and pinion setup so you would have to have a setup similar to a Rockwell chunk setup but that idea might not even be feasible in a true racing rig.

Re: Re: Ultra 4 or rock bouncer

TBItoy said:
It doesn't.

But why would you want your pinion level with your water pump by using a top loader?

Or if you were putting the pinion level with the tcase as common (as you described), why would you want a top loader diff and have the diff/A arm mounting hanging down from the chassis?
I am in no way saying use a top loader?

Elliott said:
Only to keep from being taken out of a race from a twisted driveshaft from one of those big rocks. I would want my split shafts to come out like normal and the pinion just be higher. It just seems like that would be the idea setup, driveshafts up high enough and tucked up into the frame, and the rest of the a-arms and split shafts just like they would normally be. It would be impossible to do with a standard ring and pinion setup so you would have to have a setup similar to a Rockwell chunk setup but that idea might not even be feasible in a true racing rig.
I still think you are confused?

Re: Re: Re: Ultra 4 or rock bouncer

al1tonyota said:
I am in no way saying use a top loader?
Me and you are on the same page dum dum.

He is thinking that the diff is going to be mounted down below the chassis like on a stock vehicle, where the drive shaft runs down to the diff.

In pretty much every custom built ifs/irs race rig, the diff is mounted level with the bottom of the chassis, so the driveshafts are IN the chassis, no chance of getting hit by rocks.

TJ-Flores-KOH-LG.jpg

Re:

Heavy duty CVS and 9" center sections. Just what I gathered from looking at it. Could be way off I'm not an expert

Re: Re: Re: Ultra 4 or rock bouncer

paradisepwoffrd said:
Id be interested to know what parts are in this thing. Looks like stock style shafts vs RCVs

In this pic it had some homemade shafts, he was waiting on the custom RCVs.

Re:

Cant wait to see this .. hopefully ifs front trailing arm rear like a big rzr.. would go anywhere and fast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk