• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 bolt front build thread and tech help

Jduck said:
I thought the point of those new arms were to tie back into the original hole on the knuckle?

redneckengineered said:
As you can see, the way we designed the steering arm to line up over the factory tie rod location for double sheer...........Oh, and no one had a bolt long enough to go through the whole assembly, which is why it is not done in the pictures. I had to order them.

Looks like it was a last minute assembly issue.

wizzo said:
Looks like it was a last minute assembly issue.

What I was implying was if the tie rod was designed to be under the high steer arm. If so that would solve the heim to tire sidewall issue.

Jduck said:
What I was implying was if the tie rod was designed to be under the high steer arm. If so that would solve the heim to tire sidewall issue.

True but I decided I wanted the clearance of mounting the ram as high as possible. I was used to it from my last axle and it was nice to know when it's dark and your ramming **** you can't see that all your vitals are up and out of harms way.

Awesome build Andrew. It was good to see that buggy back out on the trails taking a beating again!

When you swap over to 43" mud tires are you planning to run new wheels with less backspacing or change steering arms?

tallnate said:
Awesome build Andrew. It was good to see that buggy back out on the trails taking a beating again!

When you swap over to 43" mud tires are you planning to run new wheels with less backspacing or change steering arms?

I've got a spare trailready in my shop, just need to borrow a 43 dig tar to do a test fit. I imagine it will hit but I doubt by much. I'm super happy with these arms and my buggy is only 83" wide now so it won't kill me to run a little less BS.

Thanks for all of the updates and what not. Its pretty amazing to me how little info is known on the knuckle situation between the 350/450 and there are shafts being made for them. I guess nobody has given rcv much feedback on all of it and only a handful of folks running that setup :dunno:
Either way it's a pretty bullet proof looking setup.
Did you want to share the grand total it took to make it happen....maybe minus what the fab shop charged.

whiskeymakin said:
Thanks for all of the updates and what not. Its pretty amazing to me how little info is known on the knuckle situation between the 350/450 and there are shafts being made for them. I guess nobody has given rcv much feedback on all of it and only a handful of folks running that setup :dunno:
Either way it's a pretty bullet proof looking setup.
Did you want to share the grand total it took to make it happen....maybe minus what the fab shop charged.

Yea, it has been quite a process doing all the research, piecing together parts and making it all work. There's no "kit" out there yet or anyone that was able to be like "yep here's exactly what you need" although looking back if I were to do it again it would be fairly straightforward. I kind of enjoyed the adventure to be honest. I have a spreadsheet I just need to clean up a little bit and add some part numbers but it shows all the costs down to the cent. I'll post it up here for anyone that is interested.

Re:

Is this a just a trail riding rig or will you be racing it? Maybe you do race it and I didn't know? It's definitely bad ass!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
Is this a just a trail riding rig or will you be racing it? Maybe you do race it and I didn't know? It's definitely bad ass!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Racing LOL.............. Andrew hates to party, has his diddy's ol big block circle track motor in it and never lifts. That combination is hard on HP 60 fronts.

I think this is pretty much everything, down to the nickel and dime ****. Even if you're not looking to build using the Reid knuckles and big RCVs and all that, you can still go down the list and see where your costs are. Hope it helps someone out :dblthumb:

Attachments

• Book1.pdf
    184.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 185
I know the figure you told me in person at CCB, and I imagine that the difference is accounting for the labor necessary to build one...but the parts costs are surprisingly low for something that built and beefy. You could easily spend that on a 60 if you started out with an aftermarket chunk.

Now I want one.... :driving:

redneckengineered said:
I think this is pretty much everything, down to the nickel and dime ****. Even if you're not looking to build using the Reid knuckles and big RCVs and all that, you can still go down the list and see where your costs are. Hope it helps someone out :dblthumb:

Super useful, thank you !

I'll do something similar when mine is finished.

Did you talk to ouverson about their set up for the super duty shafts that engage the hub and violator joints?
You may be tried and true rcv....just curious.
Sounds like they are priced about the same.

whiskeymakin said:
Did you talk to ouverson about their set up for the super duty shafts that engage the hub and violator joints?
You may be tried and true rcv....just curious.
Sounds like they are priced about the same.

No, I've been running RCV style shafts since Bobby Long was selling them. I can remember when he dropped the 60 CV on Pirate I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I've had nothing but good experiences with the product performance as well as the company since. Didn't see a reason to switch it up.

Ouverson is legit and everyone I know swears by their quality so if you like u-joints I wouldn't hesitate to run his stuff. I thought it was cool when he released his stub for these unit bearings.

Question about the swap and you may have mentioned it and i missed it. Why are you going to a 14 bolt over what you had? Were you breaking or something? Best I can remember your 60 was fairly built. Just curious lots of good stuff in this thread so far.

jeeptj99 said:
Question about the swap and you may have mentioned it and i missed it. Why are you going to a 14 bolt over what you had? Were you breaking or something? Best I can remember your 60 was fairly built. Just curious lots of good stuff in this thread so far.

Couldn't keep ring and pinion in it.