• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

07 Sierra noise

jhardy

Alright guys I feel pretty dumb but I'm at a lose. Here's the story

07 GMC Sierra, z71, crew cab, lifted 5".

Runs great but has developed a popping sound from the front end. When accelerating, turning left or right. Mainly slow speeds. You can feel it a little in the steering wheel. I jacked it up, hubs seem fine no play everything is nice and tight. The CV shaft boot is ripped open. (I know this is bad) but could the noise be coming from any where else. I am not the best at diagnosing problems.

Just curious if anybody has had any other problems or ideas of what it could be since y'all are some of the smartest guys around figured you could maybe help.

I'd say that's it. My 06 had it. Basically GM used a piece of thin plastic as a bushing on the steering shaft, it breaks up and noises show up

Definitely fix the cv but your problem sounds like the steering shaft bushing...if you look at the poor angle on the shaft you will see why it wears ...plus it's Mexican plastic

jhardy said:
I'll check the steering shaft. What do you suggest as a fix if that's what it is.

Pretty much just have to keep replacing them. I think I we through 2 in 200k on my 06

jhardy said:
I'll check the steering shaft. What do you suggest as a fix if that's what it is.

The steering shaft bushing under the dash is just a piece of plastic in a piece of **** sheet metal housing.

I put a 2" exhaust clamp around mine to make it solid instead of just the 2 bent pieces of sheet metal ...

No rattles since.