• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1025 seamless tube used as a cage/chassis?

XJ savage

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I've ran across a deal on some 1025 seamless tube and haven't been able to find much info on it. Supposedly it's very strong low carbon mild steel and what I'm wondering is how it would act as a cage or chassis material. Also wondering if anyone has used it and how it bends/welds compared to DOM Thanks.

CDS (Cold drawn seamless) is actually better than DOM.

DOM is made from a heavy wall welded seam tube that is cold drawn over a mandrel. DOM feels seamless, but it acutally isn't, the seam is pulled down during the drawing process.

CDS is made from a solid billet that is pierced and cold drawn as one piece. It is true seamless tube.

I'd say a lot of people that ask for "seamless tube" (meaning DOM) at the steel yard actualy get priced and sold CDS rather than DOM.

I assume the tube you ran across is actually "tube size" and not "pipe size"? (could be important according to what size bender dies you have available)

Yeah, haven't used that one in a while, wasn't trying to bust your balls.

My cage is 1020 DOM. I would not be afraid of using 1025 if the diameter & wall thickness are what you are after.

bobo said:
Yeah, haven't used that one in a while, wasn't trying to bust your balls.

My cage is 1020 DOM. I would not be afraid of using 1025 if the diameter & wall thickness are what you are after.
No worries man. I can get about 24 ft for $80 and I talked to one guy that used it once and said it can flat spot on rare occasion and recommended to keep the seem on the outside (?) But anyways, I may pick up some and try it out. If nothing else it'll serve well as tube fenders or tire carrier. I'll report back and give a good review on my findings.

1020 and 1026 ASTM A513 T5 is the standard DOM tubing that most people use and what is sold as DOM mechanical tubing. Considering 1025 is a somewhat different compound, I was curious about how the lower carbon steel would act being welded or formed. That is all.

If it has a seem try to put it on the side, the outside gets stretched the most, I've seen welded pipe split from that, not much but have had it happen.

From what we've dealt with, you won't notice much difference between the two.

DOM is definitely more consistent, though, due to the mfg process.

stroyer said:
From what we've dealt with, you won't notice much difference between the two.

DOM is definitely more consistent, though, due to the mfg process.
My only concern is this "1025" was not listed as drawn over mandrel which would be a reason for me not to use it on anything structural.

Latest posts