• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

12V versus 24V cummins 5.9L

how so much better than other trks?

you mean newer Dodges to older dodges or dodges to fords etc??

Fords easily get the worst mileage out of the big three.. The old 12 valve can easily get good mileage if it's set up properly and you drive it right. The newer Dodges and chevy's get awesome mileage just because of all the variable programming. You can set them up to get awesome mileage, or push a button and have all the power you could possibly want. I honestly can't tell you why Fords fall behind in that area. It couldn't be the running gear because that certainly isn't inferior to the dodge. It's the engine itself. The vP44 Dodges don't commonly get very good fuel mileage. And any of the three get better fuel mileage with common upgrades. But there's always a breakover point, I found that real fast and hauling ass down the other side :haha:.. Plus I can NEVER seem to drive it nice.. So 16 - 17 with my daily stop and go traffic commute and some romping on it and getting up to speed..

In my opinion the mileage difference is due to basically two things. First the Ford/ Navistar engine is much bigger at 7.3 liters compared to 5.9 liters and the ford has a slightly higher RPM range. Second is the Ford truck is much heavier. The electronics have nothing to do with it as the ford stuff is just as versitile as the others.

In my opinion the mileage difference is due to basically two things. First the Ford/ Navistar engine is much bigger at 7.3 liters compared to 5.9 liters and the ford has a slightly higher RPM range. Second is the Ford truck is much heavier. The electronics have nothing to do with it as the ford stuff is just as versitile as the others.

thats kinda what i was thinking, the ford is a 8 clyinder so its going to consume more fuel:awesomework:

A new mega cab with a 6.7 that weighs every bit as much as a Ford Dually with a 6.0. And the Dodge gets better mileage.. And the 5.9 stomps the 6.0 in any kind of mileage.. So ya got a theory on that one? The chevy is a 6.6 as well, bigger then the Ford 6.0. Still better mileage, but the truck is slightly lighter in that case.. Not to mention the 7.3 is bigger and using more fuel, should be making more power right? Or it's just good at wasting it?

A new mega cab with a 6.7 that weighs every bit as much as a Ford Dually with a 6.0. And the Dodge gets better mileage.. And the 5.9 stomps the 6.0 in any kind of mileage.. So ya got a theory on that one? The chevy is a 6.6 as well, bigger then the Ford 6.0. Still better mileage, but the truck is slightly lighter in that case.. Not to mention the 7.3 is bigger and using more fuel, should be making more power right? Or it's just good at wasting it?

If you read my post it says 7.3. I don't know or give a **** about a 6.0. Stock for stock power is real close so what's your point? A dodge mega cab does not weigh as much as a Ford crew cab.

A dodge mega cab does not weigh as much as a Ford crew cab.

You weigh a mega cab lately? I know a few people that own them, they're fat little piggies on the scale..

And my point still stands, if you're saying the 7.3 gets worse mileage because it's larger, it should be returning the favor and giving that much more power..

No I'm prety sure that this was your point and it's still wrong.:flipoff:

The newer Dodges and chevy's get awesome mileage just because of all the variable programming. You can set them up to get awesome mileage, or push a button and have all the power you could possibly want. I honestly can't tell you why Fords fall behind in that area.

You obviousely don't understand what variables are involved in determining fuel mileage. Max power has nothing to do with it unless you're comparing fuel economy at max output?

A little more info just because.
2007 model year as far as I can tell........
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4230317.html?page=2
Dodge ram 3500 mega cab 4x4. 6.7
350 hp/ 650 ft.lbs.
curb weight 7900 lbs.

Ford King ranch crew cab F350 4x4 6.4
350hp/ 650 ft.lbs.
Curb weight 8700lbs.

The Ford weighs 800 lbs more and that's with the smaller and lighter 6.4 engine. I don't have specs for the 7.3 trucks.

You obviousely don't understand what variables are involved in determining fuel mileage. Max power has nothing to do with it unless you're comparing fuel economy at max output?

I said it plain and simple.. I guess Ford needs to have a larger engine that uses more fuel to keep up with the other two.. sound right?

I'll throw 800 lbs in the bed of my truck after I fill up this weekend and see how much my mileage changes.. sound good?

You seem to be missing the point.. About the only way you're going to get that 7.3 to keep up mileage wise is with a stripped down 2wd vs a Mega cab dually.. Then mileage would be pretty close.

Alright ladies. Can't we all just get along? Its friday, Enjoy it.
I'm off work in 10 minutes:fawkdancesmiley: :fawkdancesmiley:

Yeah you did say it plain and simple but what you said was BS, that's why I called you on it. Don't get all but hurt about it just get your facts straight so next time you know what your talking about. It's no secret that the Dodge gets slightly better mileage. How much better is the question in a world where everyone stretches the truth. :;
Go have that drink and have a nice day!:beer:

Latest posts