• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1983 Cj7 fuel tank question

Goose99

I have a 1983 Cj7 with a newly swapped 14bolt rear end. Jeep is not strecthed at all. I just finished up my 14 bolt after trashing my 1/2 ton stuff well I put it in and all is great to see that the fuel tank is in the way. I still use the back seat a lot so I don't really wanna take it out. It looks ask if the jeep has a bigger than factory tank in and I'm looking for opinions? If it " flex " it say in a ditch or whatever it don't hit. BUT I'm afraid ( let's say I come off a little ledge or whatever and the rear end slides down and hits evenly I'm afraid it will go straight into the tank? Do I try to risk it a little and see if it will dent it and make room? Lol or do y'all or have y'all done something better in this situation. It's leaf springs are on top of axel ( 4 in h rough country springs I believe ) and some 2 or so inches extended spring perches. Another note the leaf springs are in and on sliders on the back of the jeep if that helps anything. Jeep is also on 39.5" TSL's 350tbi engine 400turbo trans 205 transfer case.

If its a stock tank you could add a gas tank skid plate pretty easily. If you are really concerned with the diff hitting the tank you can replace the tank with a fuel cell that fits behind the rear seat. Several companies make one that will fit behind the seat.

I think I remember guys would swap in a plastic yj tank, heat it up and mold a dent in it to accommodate the rear diff.