• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1st Gen EFI Swap: Gas Tank...

London Gentleman

So im doing an EFI swap in my '80 1st gen longbed, Mark M says I can use a 2wd early 90's EFI gas tank and it will bolt up in the stock location, but thats if my truck is a shortbed. It is not. So wondering if a 2wd EFI gas tank out of a longbed truck would be the same as mine... My current tank is 35.5" length wise for the mounting bolt holes. Can anybody put a tape up to their EFI 2wd longbed trucks? Much appreciated!

Are you running a truck bed, or flatbed??? Depending how it's set up/built out back, you may be able to run a 4x4 tank by spacing the rear mount down....did just this in a 79 recently, but it does have an allpro flatbed, or something along that line anyway...Regardless it worked out slick with no issues....I'll see if I can get a couple pics in the near future...

It has a bed on it, Dont really wanna cut into it either. I was thinking even if the longbed EFI tank doesnt bolt up or is different, I can just use the shortbed EFI tank and modify my original rear most mount for the tank, utilizing the front tank mount.

No need to cut into the bed...we used the original front tank mount, and spaced the rear mount down 1.5" using square tube (drilled 3 holes thru the tube, and used the original mounting holes on the original tank mount--just needed longer bolts...:awesomework:), allowing room for the lines/electrical to clear the bottom of the flatbed...a truck bed may be more of a challenge, but spacing the rear of the tank may be a viable option...:cool:

i used a stock 80 tank and used an external fuel pump, just change the line to f.i. hose , i used an "e-2000" pump, can get for like 80 or 90 bucks at vatozone or schmucks. the pump comes in v-8 f-150's
then you dont have to change anything.
hope this info helps

Pressure line is 5/16" steel line. Granted mine is still in tank but if you are using a toyota celica pump you can use the stock steel lines and a compression adapter to 5/16" line once you clean the pain off of the toyota line. Snug but it does fit. :D

Was doing a little research on the e-2000 pump for someone else, and its pressure rating spec is only 4-6psi....IIRC 22RE pressure spec is something in the neighborhood of 30-35psi, so an e-2000 wouldn't work...

The e2000 will work fine it is rated higher than that... 30-40 GPH and 75-90 psi is what I find for it. It is a good bit more than what a toyota needs but it will work. I'd much rather use a celica pump though. Toyota spes so it'll be reliable and it is external mounted with all the correct fittings to swap easily.

Yeah, after doing a little digging, Napa's spec is wrong in the listing :booo:....seems that other parts suppliers show the correct pressure spec.... I do know that what an e2000 pump runs in (late 80's F-series with the 5.8L) its pressure spec is 32-35psi regulated...:awesomework:

The e2000 will work fine it is rated higher than that... 30-40 GPH and 75-90 psi is what I find for it. It is a good bit more than what a toyota needs but it will work. I'd much rather use a celica pump though. Toyota spes so it'll be reliable and it is external mounted with all the correct fittings to swap easily.

What are the specs on Celica pump? What years?

What are the specs on Celica pump? What years?

Grab one for a 83 supra they put out 32-40 psi just like the in tank pump bu they are frame mounted. Grab the line parts you need from a wrecking yard, the pump mounts right above the rear diff. I scrapped an 83 a couple months ago and like a tard I didn't grab the pump, I made a mental note to grab it but failed to do so. :mad:

Cool! Now Im gonna take back that E2000 pump, reading up on pirate about alot of people having them fail on a regular basis. Seeing what a supra pump will run me... If its more then 100 dollars, junk yard!

On one of our rigs we have been running the e2000 with no issues, we rubber mounted it on the firewall by the wiper motor. On my buggy I run a summit brand chrome one that works great also with no issues. I use 5/16 air brake hose for my fuel line on my buggy and we used most of the metal line that was on jeremys truck with just a few short pieces of f.i. Line.

I've got hard line for most of my fuel set up and iirc 5/16th fuel injection rubber line where needed. I'm also using the MSD 2225 inline fuel pump without issues going on 7 years.

Last edited: