• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2004 Duramax question

jtrogers83

i have a 2004 Duramax that for some reason just out of the blue will loose its prime when at idle and the only way to get it primed back is to force fuel through the system by sealing off the fuel tank and force air in the tank to push the fuel any ideas ? kinda got me stumped bc i see no fuel leaks and of all times i was gonna leave tomorrow headed to the crawl ride grr what luck

There is a check ball/valve thing in the fuel filter head that gets F'd up sometimes. and the o-rings inside of it can go bad and let it suck air in.

My dad's truck did the same thing, he put a new filter head on it and it fixed it.

You can rebuild them though for much cheaper i'm sure.

xjkrawler said:
yup dads 04 dmax had the same issues. replace the filter housing and your good to go. :dblthumb:

yep, possibly filter has backed off and you are puffing air, or you have a crack in the filter housing (very common)

My '06 loves to back the filter off. I dont know how or why but it does it about every 10k. My '02 and '07 never had the problem.

problem solved replaced filter housing assy. with one from GM cant really complain on price $118 out the door and came with a new filter water sensor sure beats $30 filter $35 o-ring kit and a $40 water sensor

Thanks for the help guys

My 05 did the same thing before I hooked the gooseneck up saturday night to go to grayrock. Then again in the rain sunday afternoon when we were running to take cover and get under the rodeo arena. Only 2 times its done it but at least i know what its gonna be! :spin: