• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2007 Dodge 6.7 Cummins ,Good or bad ?

tledbetter

Hey Guys i was needing some advice on this year model motor. Always owned Chevy or Ford Diesals and i found this 2007 Dogde 2500 6 spd with 61,000 miles. Just wondering about any problems or issues I need to know about.Thanks for any input.

dpf and egr sucks, the early 6.7 trucks had a turbo recall i believe, mainly had to do with the vain control i believe.

I borrowed a friends when my 12 valve was down, used it to tow to Choccolocco from South of Atlanta, It is a pulling MoFo but she does consume larger volumes of fuel. I here after the deletes the mileage picks up a good bit but I can not confirm it.

What does the Deletes consit of.Are they exspensive to do. I just know the delete on the 6.0 Fords are exspensive to do. I own a 2004 GMC 2500 Duramax and its needed nothing but a progammer added to it to pull great and get 22 mpg but its got a 152k and I was just gonna pass it on before it gave any problems.

They didn't install 6.7 until later in 07 so it coud be a 5.9 .I have two, an 08 and a 10. With dpf
and egr delete theyr both pullin sum bitches. Getting 12 mpg empty! Got 92k and 142k mies with no engine troubles. Now the truck is a different story. There ain't enough room here to type what I think about these pieces of ****!

Done an egr bypass and dpf delete with a smarty jr. Programmer on my friends 6.7. Mileage increased about 5mpg unloaded. No problems outta tha truck since then, its been about 2 years since. But if you're gunna mod it any I would suggest in a aftermarket clutch assembly., even with just the jr. It'll smoke the clutch. I worked at a dodge dealership for a couple years, never had real issues with them unless it was driver error, like using dyed fuel in it, pulling fuel out of a drag up tank with out a fuel filter and clogging the injectors, running high ash oil like rotella t in it and destroying the engine. All that being said the cost for the egr bypass, dpf delete, and smarty jr. Was around 1300 or 1400 bucks. And with any knowledge, some hand tools and a weekend in the shop you and your buds could do it no problem. Hope that helps man.

The truck, not the engine. At 20 k miles installed new clutch and fly wheel, another at 22 k, new u joints at 30 , new seat, 3 more clutch ass. Finally at 60 k I done a delete and installed a smart jr. With a south bend clutch and other than a really noisy clutch, I have na problems. I done a 19.5 tire and wheel conversion and have 82 k miles on the tires and still going strong ! Would not buy another one ton with out 19.5's on it. The truck runs, rides, ad handles great, but dodge just can't seem to fix the nit picky things on there trucks. Had some dodges in the 60's and they ain't changed. Like I've always said, if you need some spare dodge parts jet wait a while something will fall off in a little while, and you'll have some!

creepin_crawler87 said:
Done an egr bypass and dpf delete with a smarty jr. Programmer on my friends 6.7. Mileage increased about 5mpg unloaded. No problems outta tha truck since then, its been about 2 years since. But if you're gunna mod it any I would suggest in a aftermarket clutch assembly., even with just the jr. It'll smoke the clutch. I worked at a dodge dealership for a couple years, never had real issues with them unless it was driver error, like using dyed fuel in it, pulling fuel out of a drag up tank with out a fuel filter and clogging the injectors, running high ash oil like rotella t in it and destroying the engine. All that being said the cost for the egr bypass, dpf delete, and smarty jr. Was around 1300 or 1400 bucks. And with any knowledge, some hand tools and a weekend in the shop you and your buds could do it no problem. Hope that helps man.

So dont run Rotella?

My specs 07.5 Dodge 3500 6.7, 6 Speed Manual, 122k. EGR & DPF Deletes. H&S Programmer, South Bend Single Disc, Straight Piped other than the Cat behind the turbo (Its getting replaced soon). I get around 16-20 mpg. This truck is stronger than any other cummins I have owned or driven. So far so good....but I agree the interior sucks on these trucks.

So what oil needs to be run in these engines?

I have a '12 3500 CC SRW 4x4 6.7 auto

BigCountry said:
So dont run Rotella?

My specs 07.5 Dodge 3500 6.7, 6 Speed Manual, 122k. EGR & DPF Deletes. H&S Programmer, South Bend Single Disc, Straight Piped other than the Cat behind the turbo (Its getting replaced soon). I get around 16-20 mpg. This truck is stronger than any other cummins I have owned or driven. So far so good....but I agree the interior sucks on these trucks.

conventional Rotella is "cheap" oil.

Maybe run some Rotella T-6 (full synthetic).

With the price of an engine and the extended drain intervals from using full synthetic oil, there really isn't any reason to NOT run a top-of-the-line oil in your diesel truck.

tledbetter said:
What does the Deletes consit of.Are they exspensive to do. I just know the delete on the 6.0 Fords are exspensive to do. I own a 2004 GMC 2500 Duramax and its needed nothing but a progammer added to it to pull great and get 22 mpg but its got a 152k and I was just gonna pass it on before it gave any problems.

If you like the Chevy, I'd just keep it (unless you got new-truck fever)...

No you're not supposed to run rotella t in the new 6.7 trucks. Its a high ash oil and can gunk up the egr. If you've done the egr bypass you should be ok to run rotella t in it. You're supposed to run regular 15w 40 oil or one that says low ash or approved for 2007 and newer engines.

conventional Rotella is "cheap" oil.

Maybe run some Rotella T-6 (full synthetic).

With the price of an engine and the extended drain intervals from using full synthetic oil, there really isn't any reason to NOT run a top-of-the-line oil in your diesel

I agree you can run the synthetic in your engine it is rated for the new engines. Just make sure you have the engine flushed of the old conventional oil before running the synthetic. I use the synthetic in my 24 valve and love it. Kinda calms the valve chatter down a bit too lol

dragr1 said:
So what oil needs to be run in these engines?

I have a '12 3500 CC SRW 4x4 6.7 auto

I work for a dodge dealer here north of atlanta. We put the mopar synthetic oil in all the diesels.. I believe its just re bottled penzoil.

Thanks for input,I've decided to keep the truck I got.I drove that Dodge for 2 nights and a 6spd isn't a Drinking Mans truck. It rattled bad and it just wasn't as good as my Duramax.Thanks alot for your opions,I would have regreted that probly.

Latest posts