• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2008 GMC Acadia transmission trouble ?

~Drain, refill, then take it somewhere to have the TCM updated? Is this a dealer only program or can anyone with a good scanner/computer do it?

You have to have global connect with a mds or a tech 2 with a candu module. Mostly dealer only. Few shops have the ability

And it's only like 100 to have it updated. When was the trans put in? Probably is up to date more than likley

wannabe said:
And it's only like 100 to have it updated. When was the trans put in? Probably is up to date more than likley

it was supposed to have been replaced approx 12-18 months 25k miles ago.

bad80cj said:
Do not flush!

When I worked at Ford the techs did not know how to use the flushing machine. Half the time the trans would get run dry during the process and **** up the transmission. The techs knew they ****ed up when smoke started coming out of the trans. They would run over, shut the machine down, fill, and send it on its way. Sometimes they got lucky and it would last long enough to where the customer didn't make the association between trans flush and trans fail. Sometimes it wouldn't even make it out of the parking lot. The manager would always try to make the case that the trans was probably about to die anyway and make the customer pay. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not and the service department would have to buy a a trans.

The other half of the time all the line adapters for the flush machine were missing or broken. I would sell a trans flush and the techs would do a drain and fill instead, not having the proper attachments for the flush machine. At first they did it without me knowing but after a while I realized what was happening so I stopped selling flushes. (Despite getting a small bonus for each that I sold.) My manager got mad that I wasn't selling them. He would always bitch me out for it and I would promise to start selling them, but I just couldn't. That's when I started trying to find a way out.

Finally, even in the rare cases where the flush was done properly it seemed like many of the transmissions would still fail almost immediately after.

I won't flush any of my transmissions today as a result of all this. I think the chances of getting it done competently are very small. You would literally have to walk out to the service bay and watch the technician do it, which no service department would ever allow. And even if you do get it done competently it seems it increases chances of failure anyway. My theory is that the clutches and everything inside wear just as the fluid wears. A worn clutch actually NEEDS the contaminants in the fluid to continue wearing evenly. By flushing with fresh fluid you reset that wear cycle only on an already worn clutch, thereby accelerating wear again. A drain and fill at least leaves some dirty fluid in the system to mix with the new. I know that some manufacturers today expressly state in their manuals that the trans fluid is not to be changed and will last the life of the vehicle. (I think Dodge states that on some of their transmissions now.)

But hearing other people in the industry agree on no flushing interests me. Why do you (and others) say that?

Yea there might be some new software. Won't be anything dramatic but it's best to have the latest

def leaking a lil fluid and sounds like i won't be doing the flush. don't know if anyone can tell by these numbers if it is a reman tranny.
So as of now my options are....
1. have it reprogrammed and if that doesn't work
either
2. the $1500-$1700 rebuild ( relace the 35R wave plate) and sell or
3. the $3200 reman trans and drive the wheels off of it

patooyee said:
When I worked at Ford the techs did not know how to use the flushing machine. Half the time the trans would get run dry during the process and **** up the transmission. The techs knew they ****ed up when smoke started coming out of the trans. They would run over, shut the machine down, fill, and send it on its way. Sometimes they got lucky and it would last long enough to where the customer didn't make the association between trans flush and trans fail. Sometimes it wouldn't even make it out of the parking lot. The manager would always try to make the case that the trans was probably about to die anyway and make the customer pay. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not and the service department would have to buy a a trans.

The other half of the time all the line adapters for the flush machine were missing or broken. I would sell a trans flush and the techs would do a drain and fill instead, not having the proper attachments for the flush machine. At first they did it without me knowing but after a while I realized what was happening so I stopped selling flushes. (Despite getting a small bonus for each that I sold.) My manager got mad that I wasn't selling them. He would always bitch me out for it and I would promise to start selling them, but I just couldn't. That's when I started trying to find a way out.

Finally, even in the rare cases where the flush was done properly it seemed like many of the transmissions would still fail almost immediately after.

I won't flush any of my transmissions today as a result of all this. I think the chances of getting it done competently are very small. You would literally have to walk out to the service bay and watch the technician do it, which no service department would ever allow. And even if you do get it done competently it seems it increases chances of failure anyway. My theory is that the clutches and everything inside wear just as the fluid wears. A worn clutch actually NEEDS the contaminants in the fluid to continue wearing evenly. By flushing with fresh fluid you reset that wear cycle only on an already worn clutch, thereby accelerating wear again. A drain and fill at least leaves some dirty fluid in the system to mix with the new. I know that some manufacturers today expressly state in their manuals that the trans fluid is not to be changed and will last the life of the vehicle. (I think Dodge states that on some of their transmissions now.)

But hearing other people in the industry agree on no flushing interests me. Why do you (and others) say that?
no other reasons other than each and everyone you stated. ;)

We never have any problems flushing vehicles, we have a trans flusher and a cooler flusher. The most common problem we see when someone gets a rebuilt trans done cheap who ever installed it did not flush the cooling system and it will suck all the metal and debris out of the lines and cooler back into the transmission.

Most of the metal and clutch material will settle at the bottom of the pan, this being said if you drop the pan, clean it and then flush the cooling system and put in new fluid and filter is the best way to maintain your transmission. Or at least what we do to ours

Those are just gm serial numbers. Look under the air box and see if there's a metal sticker. I think it's green I can't remember. But if it's a reman from gm dealer just go ask for the service history. It's all entered by the vin.

My mom had a 2009 traverse trans went out 3 times before 80k warranty covered it but she got rid of it. Everyone else I know with one has had the same problems. So if you buy one def make sure you have a warranty

took it to a trans shop and let him drive it. He said it was the torque converter. he put some additive in it and it did well for about 3-4 weeks and isn't near as bad but you can still tell it isn't 100%right