• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

205 Questions

jesse102

I have a few questions about a 205 so maybe anyone who has experience with them can chim in...... I've always ran an atlas or a Dana 300 in the past but never had a 205 before .....I'm wanting another atlas but I don't want to break the bank and I've broke a couple Dana 300's in the past .....so I'm considering a 205........first off is gearing ...I'm by no means a bouncer but I don't like crawling all the time either so I would consider my driving style right in the middle of the 2..... My drivetrain is a 3500-4000 pound rig running a stock 5.3, th350, and 1 tons geared (5:38) ......will a 205 be a good combo for my driving style of crawling and then usually a heavy foot when I can't get up something in about 2 tries.....I just don't want to be geared to high............. Next is ground clearance I know a 205 is quiet a bit bigger than I'm used too and I've also noticed they make clocking rings so would that be a good direction to go and will I still have good spline engauagement with the clocking ring......third is i hear they are preety stout but I don't know since I've never ran one is this correct ......... Any other pros and cons. Would be appreciated also thanks.

If you can get your gearing right with the 2:1 gears in the np205, its an awesome way to go. They are damn near bulletproof. They are heavy as hell and geared high but they are tough for sure. It all boils down to your gearing. What were you geared in your case before?

I had one with 456's and it sucked balls.. That being said it was still possible to ride, but there was no ability to slowly get up over obstacles... Always seemed to have to hop up on **** and stomp the brakes to stop when I got up where I needed to be... BUT with them gears it will a totally different story.. I have a buddy with close to the same set up as you ... Seems to be able to crawl and haul ass when needed. I think you will b ok. As far as the clockin goes, I didn't clock mine... Just shoved it up high enough that a 3" drop skid covered it. Always wondered when ya clock one where the hell the shifters went? They would be in your lap, causing you to need cable shifters... Not a big deal I don't guess, just more work. So my answer would be... Yes you will be aight.... Considering your saving about 3 stacks.. That would def be my answer.

pholmann said:
If you can get your gearing right with the 2:1 gears in the np205, its an awesome way to go. They are damn near bulletproof. They are heavy as hell and geared high but they are tough for sure. It all boils down to your gearing. What were you geared in your case before?

I have never ran the 5:38 gears yet the lowest I've ever had was 4:56 and that was with a 3.8 atlas ....... Just curious what the 5:38 and the 205 combo would be like hate to do all the work and it not be geared low enough that I don't like it....

kushKrawlin said:
I had one with 456's and it sucked balls.. That being said it was still possible to ride, but there was no ability to slowly get up over obstacles... Always seemed to have to hop up on **** and stomp the brakes to stop when I got up where I needed to be... BUT with them gears it will a totally different story.. I have a buddy with close to the same set up as you ... Seems to be able to crawl and haul ass when needed. I think you will b ok. As far as the clockin goes, I didn't clock mine... Just shoved it up high enough that a 3" drop skid covered it. Always wondered when ya clock one where the hell the shifters went? They would be in your lap, causing you to need cable shifters... Not a big deal I don't guess, just more work. So my answer would be... Yes you will be aight.... Considering your saving about 3 stacks.. That would def be my answer.

Thanks for the input that's starting to make me feel a little better about it

I see a lot of rigs runnin 205s and 5:13 or 5:38 gears , you can still crawl in first and bang in 2nd and 3rd if you have the power . Great combo IMO. I'm swapping a rig over right now because it has 5:13 and Dana 300 with 4:1. It's crawls great but generates little wheel speed it's just to low. Swapping to a 205 and leaving the 5:13

Rockwells607 said:
I see a lot of rigs runnin 205s and 5:13 or 5:38 gears , you can still crawl in first and bang in 2nd and 3rd if you have the power . Great combo IMO. I'm swapping a rig over right now because it has 5:13 and Dana 300 with 4:1. It's crawls great but generates little wheel speed it's just to low. Swapping to a 205 and leaving the 5:13

Awesome sounds like I should be fine with my gearing

IMO anything below 25:1 in first sucks to crawl with over 40" tires, expect tranny heat. You'll be fine at 27:1. Light weight helps, so 4k or lower will be great. Depending on what one you can clock it, but IIRC you just said th350, and the stock adapter is harder to find, the sleeve that goes male to male is sometimes a failure point (I broke one, stripped one) and clocking a fig 8 case sucks. See if you can find a reasonable clocking ring and rock out. A 205 isn't that much bigger than an atlas.

203/205 doubler in mine with 5.13's in axles. Regular low works great for just about everything, crawling and when wheel speed is needed.

Re: Re: 205 Questions

poolman said:
205 with 513s, on 43s, I'm happy with it.
Have you had any strength issues with the 5.13s and running 43's. Just got some non stickys and was wondering if I would have problems with that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Don`t even begin to worry about strength. It`s gonna handle what ever you throw at it Period. I`ve ran 43`s with mine with 5.38`s and love it. Last rig had 5.13`s and hell I liked it to. I ain`t no bouncer and I don`t like just creeping around either. I`ve always liked wheeling right in the middle as well (at least that's what my budget allows) . When I want to just creep around it always felt like it was just fine though. That 205 is easily stronger than a atlas and a DANA 300. Put that bitch in there and roll. Your rig will fall apart Around it!! As far as clocking it, it sits good and level just like it is. Unless its really tight under there you should be fine. Anybody ever tells you worry about a 205`s strength should never be allowed to own a 4X4 vehicle.

truckbroke said:
Don`t even begin to worry about strength. It`s gonna handle what ever you throw at it Period. I`ve ran 43`s with mine with 5.38`s and love it. Last rig had 5.13`s and hell I liked it to. I ain`t no bouncer and I don`t like just creeping around either. I`ve always liked wheeling right in the middle as well (at least that's what my budget allows) . When I want to just creep around it always felt like it was just fine though. That 205 is easily stronger than a atlas and a DANA 300. Put that bitch in there and roll. Your rig will fall apart Around it!! As far as clocking it, it sits good and level just like it is. Unless its really tight under there you should be fine. Anybody ever tells you worry about a 205`s strength should never be allowed to own a 4X4 vehicle.

I don'tthink he was questioning the 205 strength but more the 5.13 and 5.38 pinion gear size in a 60 front.

Re: Re: 205 Questions

onepieceatatime said:
Have you had any strength issues with the 5.13s and running 43's. Just got some non stickys and was wondering if I would have problems with that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I haven't had any issues, I don't hit stuff 30 mph but I'm not scared to smoke the tires either. I do lift if both front tires are off the ground or at least try to.

Latest posts