• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22R-E TOY Ignition Problems

JNK-RNR

Here is the sitch:

Spark from the coil to the distributor cap
Spark through cap to rotor

NO spark out of cap to plug wires

Already replaced cap and rotor, verified the rig is getting fuel. It turns over good.

My best guess...pick up in the distributor??

My Junk=1993 Toyota 4Runner 22R-E

This the same rig you are thinking about upgrading the ignition in? I think its a good idea. I saw your other thread just as i was leaving work and didn't get a chance to respond. so hear it goes:
I went with the MSD6A ignition box and blaster 2 coil and love it. My truck starts up on the first crank every time and yes i do feel like i am getting more power out of it. I have heard a lot of people say its not worth the upgrade but that was with newer rigs. I have a 1980 toyota and the stock ignition was getting pretty weak and had to go, but in your case...its a tough call weither it will be that much better than the stock setup. If the cost of fixing your problem is going to come close to the same price as the MSD set up than i would defiantly go with the MSD. One thing though, my stock tach doesn't work anymore. I was planning on going with an aftermarket tach anyways so i didn't worry about it, but its something to keep in mind...

oNE problem running the MSD on a 22re--you still need to use the stock igniter due to the injector refernce comes from the igniter. With a 20-22r you can eliminate the igniter and use just soley the msd..

Thanks, I have looked at the MSD "off road" box before..but I am thinking my distributor crapped out. Not really sure on how to test the pick up in it??

tO check the pickup coil you wanna use a voltmeter set to the A/C scale and hoom it up to the 2 termals at the dist. connector and see what you get. I don't have the specs here but I think its at least above 200mv at crank.

Latest posts