• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22R Not Starting

London Gentleman

I recently put a 22R in my toyota. My neighbor has a first gen toy that I used to have knowledge of where stuff went. I hooked up most everything except for a couple air hoses(ie couple of lines that go from the carb that the other truck didn't have). Also the truck has a stock toyota carb like mine. It has spark and its getting fuel, my brother and I just timed it too. Anybody have an idea of what to do???

check for vacuum leaks the main one of the manifold and the booster

What is it doing? More info. Toyota have a funny timeing to thim. if it is not just right it will not start.

Me and my bro timed it and tried starting it and a neighbor said it might be 180 off. So my other brother tried timing it and got it 180 off and was shooting out the carb. So we originally got it "right". The motor just turns over and thats it. We poured gas down the carb and it fired and ran for bout 1 second and then stopped. Phew, what do you mean the booster?

i beleive he is talking about the brake booster vacum line that goes from the carb or intake (im not sure on a carb engine) to brake booster.

Me and my bro timed it and tried starting it and a neighbor said it might be 180 off. So my other brother tried timing it and got it 180 off and was shooting out the carb. So we originally got it "right". The motor just turns over and thats it. We poured gas down the carb and it fired and ran for bout 1 second and then stopped. Phew, what do you mean the booster?

are you sure you are getting fuel....if it's running when you pour gas down the carb and then it dies, sounds like no fuel to me

are you sure you are getting fuel....if it's running when you pour gas down the carb and then it dies, sounds like no fuel to me

from what i've gathered (didn't get to work on it tonight) but it sounds like it might still be 180 off, cus they said it was backfiring out the carb, when they poured gas down the carb...:eeek:

yup sounds like a fuel problem if your pouring gas down the carb and it fires and then dies afte it runs out that means you have fuel issues:awesomework:

Check that when your at top dead center #1 on compression stroke(both valves closed) that the rotor is pointing at 10 o'clock and pull the cam sprocket off and check that the dowel pin on the cam is at 12 o'clock.

Check firing order, After that run it. Toyotas are picky and you may have to move the distributer forward or reverse one tooth.

If that doesnt work I'd say you have no compression. Do you know the history of the motor? Was it torn down?

Check that when your at top dead center #1 on compression stroke(both valves closed) that the rotor is pointing at 10 o'clock and pull the cam sprocket off and check that the dowel pin on the cam is at 12 o'clock.

Check firing order, After that run it. Toyotas are picky and you may have to move the distributer forward or reverse one tooth.

If that doesnt work I'd say you have no compression. Do you know the history of the motor? Was it torn down?

it wasnt torn down that i know, and i was told they heard it run before they got it. so...ya....:eeek: i haven't had a chance to really look at it yet, to tell you guys much more about it and have the info be truely correct...

i beleive he is talking about the brake booster vacum line that goes from the carb or intake (im not sure on a carb engine) to brake booster.

Yeah the main vacuum on the side of the manifold from your first post that was just something to check. Are you sure the firing order is correct just a thought it's easy to goof up on and not always realise. Was it the same carb that was originally on the motor

Yeah the main vacuum on the side of the manifold from your first post that was just something to check. Are you sure the firing order is correct just a thought it's easy to goof up on and not always realise. Was it the same carb that was originally on the motor

x2 on checking your firing order, i was a half baked retard one week and didnt double check the wires. Swapped wires around and got it to run. Its easy to get them backwards.

I might have got them mixed up, i be sure to check. Yes, I heard the motor run. I didnt run too good but prob needs a tune up. Its on hold right now (only have one battery) So I'll start pondering.