• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re cold start

The Luke

I'm chasing down a cold start problem. It takes a couple minutes to get the motor to start. After it's warmed up, it'll start instantly. I think I have it narrowed down to the cold start injector. I pulled the injector, cranked the key and it didn't spray anything at all. I put a meter on it and when the key was being cranked, it read around 4.6 volts to the sensor. Is that what it's supposed to be?

I read somewhere that 22re injectors are supposed to read between 6-12 volts. I checked the ohm's of the injector and switch according to the chilton manual. Both were good except the injector. it was supposed to read between 2-3 ohms, it read an avg. of 1.8.

Open to suggestions. Also looking for whatever parts we narrow it down to. :****:

Usually the problem is the cold start injector time switch. It is basically a temp sensor that tells the CSI that the engine is cold. It is located on the front of the intake beside the coolant temp sensor. The injectors themselves rarely go bad, but it could.

Toyota powers the injectors when the ignition is on and fires them with a ground signal. If you have voltage, but no ground (low ohms) then it is probably the CSI time switch. Hope that helps. thumb.gif

Re: Re: 22re cold start

I jumped the injector to the battery, it works fine. Guess its the switch then because I'm only seeing 4 volts at the injector.

Yeah those switches are known to go out. Previous owner of my yota installed a toggle switch to manually turn the cold start injector on.