• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.3L Vortec in a 90' 4runner

rover18

At my work we're doing a 4.3L vortec carbed into a 1990 2 door 4runner 4x4. The customer has been buying all of the parts (horrible idea). Right now we are having an issue clearing the oil pan with the ifs dif. Anybody know where we can get a custom oil pan made or where they actually have them. I called Advance Adapters and they said we have to do a suspension lift, but the customer says that there are pans for this swap. Need this rig out of the shop! Any and all input would be much appreciated.
Thanks

do you have a 2wd or 4wd oil pan on it now? Older carbed 4.3s should have the sheet metal oil pans so if you had to just cut it and make it fit you could.

Let it rip man! :cool:

Oh man this is right up my alley, i built a 4.3 swapped 2 door 2nd gen also:redneck:

As stated above, modify the stock pan to fit. NWOR sells one, but it will run you about 500 bucks, and they are a shitty company. I never found anyone else who made one for the 4.3. Only a SBC.

I just did a 4" bracket lift because i had the newer aluminum oil pan and didnt want to pay someone to do it. Bad idea if hes gonna wheel it. Unless he likes his suspension to look like a pretzel.

Keep them questions coming, i got answers:awesomework:

EDIT: I should also add that some people have had luck with astro van pans (lower profile) and motor mount spacers. But it seems that it would still require a little massaging with a mallet.

I stated that wrong, it's a 2000 vortec that we converted to carb. My bad. It came with the cast aluminum pan. Not sure what vehicle it came out of. We tried the astro van pan, but it is a different bolt pattern. We also put a 3" or 3.5" body lift to clear the new swap. That happened before I started working there. The body lift came with the motor mount stuff that helped raise the engine.

We converted to carb to lessen the wiring job.

So I guess my real question, is there a steel pan for the 2000 4.3L?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Ouch, i agree with trash. Sounds like to many short cuts being taken:eeek:

I was assuming that like many other people he was assuming all 4.3s were vortec.
Carb conversion is cool. But not if its for the purpose of making the wiring easier. Took me like 5 hours to do the wiring for a multiport fuel injection 4.3. Do it the right way.

And no there is no steel pans for motors with aluminum pans.

And big body lift. That just adds to the ":puke:factor" of this build.

I recant my previous statement, Only ask me for questions if its about doing a swap that is done right.

Only bugs me because its a shop doing it. Way different than hacking your own ****.

I have seen some guys try and TIG the aluminum chevy pans and make them into a new shape. Only problem with that is is once you cut it apart there is no going back.

Why not just sell the 2000 4.3 abortion hack job and go get a carbed 4.3 out of an earlier chevy, cut and hack the steel oil pan and put a nasty carb and cam on that thing and be done.

Thanks guys!

We told the customer several times that he needed the earlier 4.3L, but he insisted that this one would work fine, and that it would be a piece of cake. He has been supplying us with all of the parts, because he wants to do it as cheap as possible.

The customer also did not research as much as he said he did. The shop I work at is not a 4x4 shop, but the guy really wanted us to do it.

None of this was my choice, mostly the customer's decision and very few of it was my boss.

Last edited:
Roll it onto a trailer then deliver it to his drive way and leave it there. Cut your loss and never look back. Some jobs are not possible. This one sounds like it will come back to bite you many many times.

In other words RUN! RUN AWAY! and dont look back.