• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

40 spline 14 bolt rear

ratedX

Upgrading to 40 spline in the rear what's everyone run for hubs and spindles I heard u can do dana 80 stuff but want it to hold up too

Andrew Dubosh can give you all the information you need. But this is what I know:

Option #1- Torq makes 4340 40 spline spindles. You can run stock hubs but you will have to machine them.

Option #2- Solid makes a kit so you can run Dana 60 hubs with internal drive flanges and use their 40 spline spindles but you will have to put some sort of internal axle tube seal.

Option #3- Spidertrax floater cups with their 40 spline unit bearing and drive flanges.

I leant all this from Andrew.

Are you breaking 30 Spline shafts? If so what shafts do you run?

I broke the shafts and they wiped out my spindles I'm not goin back to stock stuff if I'm replacing it all anyway

ratedX said:
Upgrading to 40 spline in the rear what's everyone run for hubs and spindles I heard u can do dana 80 stuff but want it to hold up too

We can help you out but Bubba pretty much nailed it. When it comes to building a 40 spline 14 bolt I'm pretty sure we know all the ways to skin a cat and if we can't help you we know the other vendors that can. You can get me at

[email protected]

Out of curiosity, what kind of setup is this going in...tire size, HP, intended use? Most of our customers opt to go with the easiest upgrade which is our stock replacement shafts. These are made out of either 4340 or 300m, are 40 spline at the spindle and 30 spline at the carrier and will fit a stock housing. But like you said, if you're replacing spindles, now would be the time to upgrade. It's only $$$ right? :smoke:

Bubba1 said:
Andrew Dubosh can give you all the information you need. But this is what I know:

Option #1- Torq makes 4340 40 spline spindles. You can run stock hubs but you will have to machine them.

Option #2- Solid makes a kit so you can run Dana 60 hubs with internal drive flanges and use their 40 spline spindles but you will have to put some sort of internal axle tube seal.

Option #3- Spidertrax floater cups with their 40 spline unit bearing and drive flanges.

I leant all this from Andrew.

Are you breaking 30 Spline shafts? If so what shafts do you run?

Also,

Weaver Fabrication is making floater cups to use the larger 05+ Ford Unit bearings and 40 spline drive slugs. Not sure if they are 100% available yet though.

Re: Re: 40 spline 14 bolt rear

traveler said:
Rockwell rear spindles and super 8 hubs will be stronger and just about the same money in the end
Cool, that's what I was thinking you'd say but I thought you didn't like ouverson?

Figured you were making your own super 8 hubs or something.

Would you use Rockwell rear spindles, or a flange to bolt on front spindles?

And yeah, that new/big unit bearing stuff is expensive.

traveler said:
you need to get off this unit bearing **** nobody wants it

If I was building a 40 spline 14 bolt from scratch I'd run the Spidertrax floater cups with their 40 spline ultimate unit bearing/drive flange combo, our spool and shafts and call it a day. My current setup is the Torq 4340 40 spline spindles, with stock hubs bored out. I like it, it's strong and I have no complaints but I've seen the new Spidertrax stuff and it is legit.

So why not run dana 80 stuff the spindles are already large enough and the hubs run common bearings

40spline.com said:
If I was building a 40 spline 14 bolt from scratch I'd run the Spidertrax floater cups with their 40 spline ultimate unit bearing/drive flange combo, our spool and shafts and call it a day. My current setup is the Torq 4340 40 spline spindles, with stock hubs bored out. I like it, it's strong and I have no complaints but I've seen the new Spidertrax stuff and it is legit.

Here are some pictures of the Spidertrax Unit bearings & associated 40 spline axle shafts. It's pricey but the quality speaks for itself. Stubs are Spidertrax 40 spline, axle shafts and spools in the Torq Super-14 are from Andrew at 40spline.com

IMG_5031_zpsliy9hptf.jpg

IMG_5126_zpsc7a77m8l.jpg

Re: Re: 40 spline 14 bolt rear

ratedX said:
So why not run dana 80 stuff the spindles are already large enough and the hubs run common bearings
Seems like if you were going to cut up a Dana 80, that you'd just run the Dana 80?

Unless you were doing drop out 14s...

And apparently Rockwell spindles and Ouverson Super 8 or Overtime CNC 8 lug hubs is a good option also if you want serviceable bearing hub setup

ratedX said:

I'm far from an 80 expert but here's what I "think" I know. There are several versions of 80s out there. Not all of them had spindles capable of handling a 40 spline axle. I think the most common ones had spindles that would handle up to the 37 spline shafts but that was it. If you end up going this route fill us in on what you did. I'm always interested in learning more and being able to offer customers more options because in the end the easier it is to convert to 40 spline the better it is for the sales of our parts. One other good thing, we have two version of drive flanges one for the 14 bolt hub and one for the 60/70/most 80 hubs.

TBItoy said:
Seems like if you were going to cut up a Dana 80, that you'd just run the Dana 80?

Unless you were doing drop out 14s...

And apparently Rockwell spindles and Ouverson Super 8 or Overtime CNC 8 lug hubs is a good option also if you want serviceable bearing hub setup

The new Spidertrax Ultimate unit bearings are completely serviceable.

40spline.com said:
I'm far from an 80 expert but here's what I "think" I know. There are several versions of 80s out there. Not all of them had spindles capable of handling a 40 spline axle. I think the most common ones had spindles that would handle up to the 37 spline shafts but that was it. If you end up going this route fill us in on what you did. I'm always interested in learning more and being able to offer customers more options because in the end the easier it is to convert to 40 spline the better it is for the sales of our parts. One other good thing, we have two version of drive flanges one for the 14 bolt hub and one for the 60/70/most 80 hubs.

The new Spidertrax Ultimate unit bearings are completely serviceable.

The Ultimate UB are legit. and the lack of need for a separate drive slug saves some money. AND it solves the issues of loosening hub flange bolts that some people have.

What is the price difference in your 40 spline shafts without the drive flanges?