• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

400 turbo question

puddin4x4

im running a 400 turbo. when its in 1st gear when u get the rpm where it needs to be for climbing(4000) it shifts into 2nd gear. is there any way to keep it from shifting.

it didnt have that stuff on it when i baught it got any idea where i could find that stuff. My qrand pa has a truck with a 400 turbo. its been sitting for years. its 2wd will that work for a 4wd?

on the cars they were on the carb, on the trucks they were pushed by the pedal in the cab. It just a simple switch with a spring. You supply the kickdown solenoid on the vb with 12v when you are wide open (passing gear). I also run no modulator. just plug both ends. helps a bunch

ok i went to my grand pa. and took the carb off the truck and the wire coming from the trans led up to the carb. it was hooked up to a switch on the side of the carb. dont really understand how it works the wire just plugs up right. this is new to us so im kinda stupid on this. if its to hard to write and explain it call me. 931-629-7643 thanks.

its a switch. The side of the tranny needs 12v. You take 12v from the battery or fuse block, run it to one side of the switch, then the other pin of the swithc to the tranny. make it so the switch is activated when you depress the throttle past 3/4 or so, so it stays downshifted at full throttle. That and unhook or put a ball valve on the modulator vac line. That helps. Tranny thinks engine is wot all the time.

one of my buddys told me that if u hook it up like that it causes the main line pressure to go up, and will reack havock on the reverse band and will cause it to break. Just wondering what u thought about what he said.

hook it up with the switch on all the time or do it with no modulator when you wheel? I'm saying leave it a switch just like it was from the factory, and make the switch come on at WOT. I'd not do anything else with the kickdown than factory. On the modulator, I haven't had trouble???. He sounds like he knows what he is saying, but get clarification on which he is talking about.