• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

43 stickies vs 60 strength?

nycreecy

About to get new sneakers and wanted to get your opinion if my axles will survive moving up from a 40" DOT to a 40" or 43" sticky, is this a ticking bomb?

(40" MT baja pro xs to 40" or 43" MT baja pro x, approx $100 price difference for 4 tires).

Current specs:
6500lbs
KP60/D60U (all 35spl chromoly shafts and superjoints)
400hp LS
4.3 atlas
manual trans

TIA

1702491538876.png

In my opinion, it depends a lot on your wheeling style and terrain. With the setup you've got, I'd imagine you are more of a crawler than a heavy throttle/wheel speed guy.

Personally I like running 40's vs 42's or 43's just due to weight differences per tire. I sacrifice some clearance for the piece of mind in knowing that things shouldn't break due to the added weight per corner of 42's or 43's.

Anything can and will break. Party hard and replace/upgrade broken parts. Stickies ftw

43 stickies. took some junk 42" off a buggy and put 43's and it's a blast now. zj's correct anything will break. sometimes it will break backing off the trailer sometimes it will break when it deserves to break. my front is a kp 60 with superjoints. it had older super joints in it and one of the bushings f'ed up so i had to replace them. slam 43's on it and party.

Your buggy is much lighter than that jeep. I think that gives your axles a much better chance at survival.

Your buggy is much lighter than that jeep. I think that gives your axles a much better chance at survival.
He bought my red juggy and slapped some 43'' TSL'd to put it into full party mode. It weighed in at 4100 on the 39" Reds so not sure how much weight was added with new 43's and new wheels.

Got tired of seeing it sit in the garage collecting dust so he's got it now and doesn't let it sit long enough to collect dust. :driving:

Try not to anyway. Heather drives it more than i do it seems. she's extremely comfortable behind the wheel of it. and it's funny to watch her blast past the dudes on a trail and take the hard lines and still show them up.

@nycreecy I know a full body/full frame Jeep can weigh a lot more than one that's been cut up/lightened, but are you sure yours is 6500?

Regardless of which size tire you go with, you'll be pleased going from a DOT to a sticky. One thing to keep in mind about stickies is that they don't like temps below freezing.

@nycreecy I know a full body/full frame Jeep can weigh a lot more than one that's been cut up/lightened, but are you sure yours is 6500?

Regardless of which size tire you go with, you'll be pleased going from a DOT to a sticky. One thing to keep in mind about stickies is that they don't like temps below freezing.
I weighed the entire setup on a Cat scale, removed the jeep, and reweighed... 6520lbs difference. The only thing I changed was removing the tire carrier, so maybe it 6475lbs now.

I asked Mickey Thompson if the pro x was open or closed cell and was told that's proprietary info, but that they never had complaints with cold weather use. I ran sticky treps in the cold before and didn't notice any issues.

I weighed the entire setup on a Cat scale, removed the jeep, and reweighed... 6520lbs difference. The only thing I changed was removing the tire carrier, so maybe it 6475lbs now.

I asked Mickey Thompson if the pro x was open or closed cell and was told that's proprietary info, but that they never had complaints with cold weather use. I ran sticky treps in the cold before and didn't notice any issues.
Man after my own heart actually weighing something on a scale vs just guesstimating weights and contacting the mfg to ask questions about a product. I know Reds don't care for the colder temps so that's what got me thinking about it.

Man after my own heart actually weighing something on a scale vs just guesstimating weights and contacting the mfg to ask questions about a product. I know Reds don't care for the colder temps so that's what got me thinking about it.
I always figured I'd get better responses if I put in the effort on my end.

I always figured I'd get better responses if I put in the effort on my end.
Understandable there for sure. I am intrigued by weights, so anytime someone busts out actual scale weights I am all about it.

I know @Mattman347 has loved his 43'' Mickey's on his Ranger buggy/truggy. His isn't as heavy as yours, but the tires seem to perform great to southeastern wheeling (minimal traction and lots of wheel speed).