• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.0 or 7.3 in F250?????

jccarter1 said:
Not to get off topic or stir up some **** but what is everyone's love affair with the 5.9 I drive one everyday as a work truck and hate it maybe I have a weak one but if feels strained and get poor economy there is no comparison in my mind that the 5.9 could compete in except for durability also before anyone tears into this the truck is a 94 dodge 3500 12 valve 5.9 drw auto tranny just rebuilt and had the pump turned up on motor

My 97 12v gets 20+mpg empty and 18 or so towing my trailer and has plenty of ass. Walks off and leaves my uncles 03 (I think, could be an 02) F250 with a 7.3 on hills. He gets me on take off though.

I am a Cummings fan myself but if you have to go Ford, then go with 7.3. The 6.0 had too many little problems that needed to be worked out before it was truly reliable.

Traded in my 6.0 today. Had just under 90000 miles and was starting to show the early signs it was gonna destroy my wallet. I have had many trucks and buying that one was the biggest mistake ever. It's a shame the motor is crap cause I love the superduty size and comfort the best.

Got a 99 7.3 and it run's like a champ, wouldn't trade if for anything. I wouldn't use a 6.0 for nothing but a boat anchor, biggest pos diesel engine ever made. I'll never buy another Ford diesel unless it's another 7.3. If you want a new truck go with a Duramax but older i'd go for the 7.3.

I love my 7.3 6.0 with an egr delete, head studs with black onyx head gaskets, and a decent tuner isnt a bad motor but when the egr goes it wipes out oil cooler and everything down the line. Just dont get an 05 6.0. And the heads are not a big issue its the gaskets and bolts that cause head lift that ends up destroying the gasket and blows bubbles in the degas bottle. Its actually pretty hard to hurt the head its self

The heads on my 6.0 cracked on # 4 cylinder and in turn put diesel in the coolant. Never lifted heads on my but had everything else that could go wrong with a 6.0 went wrong. Turbo, every injector at least once,EGR two times,EGR valve,FICM,and a cracked head.i bought my truck new an bought the 200,000 mile warranty for $2500 and it was the BEST money I spent on that truck. The repairs on my truck never hit me for a dime. They even waved my deductible every time, which was the least they could do. 6.0 is JUNK!!! With stock parts!!

I have a SIck-0. Here are the reasons why I bought it. First I am a mechanic. Second it was cheap. After headstuds, head gaskets, and EGR delete its been a pretty good one.. :****:

7.3 all the way!! theres alot of little things you can do to a 7.3 to get juice outta them to. im making 28 lbs with stock injectors stock hpop an stock turbo

I am a diesel mechanic at a Ford dealership, and the only diesel truck I would own would have a 7.3l in it. The 6.0 can be made to hold up with a couple thousand dollars of upgrades, but there are still unforseen problems that can leave you on the side of the road.

Latest posts