• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.0 superduty tech info

TreeClimber

The dealer is telling me my turbo is fubar.

I'm not 'smart' on the engine.
Does the turbo replacement have the same access as the EGR? Is now the time to do an EGR update?

More then likely your Turbo is fine. It just needs to be torn apart and have all of the soot cleaned out. It causes the veins to stick. It's a simple job. Put some motorcraft antiseize on the surfaces the veins ride on before you put it back together. I'd just ditch the egr crap.

Last edited:
More then likely your Turbo is fine. It just needs to be torn apart and have all of the soot cleaned out. It causes the veins to stick. It's a simple job. Put some motorcraft antiseize on the surfaces the veins ride on before you put it back together. I'd just ditch the egr crap.
But is the egr accessed while servicing the turbo?

why are they saying it's fubar? And if your gonna tear into and do an egr upgrade/or delete you might as well swap the oil cooler while in there as they are prone to failure as well.

why are they saying it's fubar? And if your gonna tear into and do an egr upgrade/or delete you might as well swap the oil cooler while in there as they are prone to failure as well.
2005 PowerStroke, 51k miles

The turbo boost guage intermittently drops to zero, while under full load (camper and trailer required, pulling steep hills). If you feather the throttle, the boost guage flickers back up, and the truck pulls again. It's a hard to duplicate symptom, which I'm going to try and duplicate while the Ford Mechanic and scanner are hooked up and riding with me.

I will know more tomorrow.

I've meticulously maintained this engine. Fresh oil every 100 hours, like clockwork. Factory service said to change oil every 7500 miles or every 200 hours. I've done it twice that frequently. There is no chip on the computer, and has never been one. I'm the original owner of the truck.

It's been explained to me, that there are several issue with the 6.0. Among them, the EGR cooler, the Oil cooler, the head (and head gasket) bolts stretching and turbo failure.

It's my understanding, that frequent oil changes eliminate a lot of the issues, as does keeping boost pressure and exhaust gas temps in normal operating specifications. Therefore, I've never exceded the OEM specs, to try and eliminate those concerns.

Additionally, I use this rig almost exclusively for towing. This means I'm often under full throttle. It's my understanding this helps keep the turbo from carbon fouling.

Originally, I wasn't sure if I had a bad guage, or a bad sender.

Now I'm not sure.

However, in 10 days, I want, er.... NEED this truck to drive to Top Truck Champions Challenge in Hollister Cali.

So I've go to solve this NOW.

Last edited:
The Turbo I took out and cleaned up was on a bone stock truck with 64k on it and the owner took very good care of it. This was going to be his 3rd Turbo. The previous two didn't need to be replaced. But he listened to the dealer. It's amazing how little they know.

So I spent an hour this morning driving over every steep hill I could find in the county, and everything operated normally.

The dealer had the truck yesterday. They said that the boost was running between 14 and 84 (I think that's %, but not sure). They said the norms are 20 to 50. They further said that meant I was underboosting then overboosting, and back and forth.

My question: If I am overboosting, what's my risk? I haven't chipped the engine, due to fear of too much pressure creating head gasket / EGR cooler issues.

Thanks for all the answers and links.
Tony

that must be % of boost as if I recall stock boost pounds is around 25lbs it's been a while since being stock.

Sounds like your doing pretty much everything right, with the exception of putting miles on your truck. Which goes back to Jeffs post, I helped him with that truck. It was the most pristine used truck I've ever seen including the engine bay we cooked dinner on. But the owner just didn't drive the truck enough allowing the turbo to rust inside. This causes sticky vanes in the turbo. I wouldn't mess with your truck as far as egr delete. I would highly recommend asking them them to clean it if under warranty. If out of warranty and you have any wrenching experience do it yourself, there are plenty of write ups on how to do it on the net. It is really simple and on an 06 I can pull it and put it back on in under an hour not including cleaning.
Once fixed simply run the truck in occasionally to keep it clean and use it just like you have been other than that.

Are there any special precautions or parts needed, other than the turbo, for the intallation, if I buy a new part?
Debating if it's better to simply clean this one, or replace, or just run the existing turbo.

they sell a gasket kit for under 10$. As far as the cleaning Ford sells a kit for that too but for way less money you can go buy some 1" sanding discs for a drill or dremel and do it yourself. Fine grit just enough to get the rust off and some anti seize to rub on afterwards. There are plenty of write ups online that can be found easily explaining in detail and with pics on how to do it.