• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

7.3 diesel problems??

poolman

I got a 97 7.3 with about 100 thousand on it. I got it a year ago with 62k and I haven't had any problems. All this started last Friday with no warning. Runs great for about a mile then the fuel filter light comes on and it dies. If it sits a few minutes I can drive another mile. Changed the fuel filter same thing, drained all the fuel out, same thing, changed the fuel pump same thing. Unplugged the fuel filter sensor same thing but the light doesn't come on?? HELP??

I'm not sure if it has a tank filter, the pump on top of the motor is the one I replaced.

Our brush truck at the fire department is a 97 7.3. It did this exact thing several times about a year ago. We eventually took it in and it ended up being the change over valve in between tanks. It kept sticking and was sucking air into the lines. Might try getting that checked out, If yours even has dual tanks :dunno:

There is a regulator on the side of the fuel bowl, might need to take a look at it and see if it is gummed up. It is just a spring and check ball in there and there is also a screen in there that might be plugged. That is not a lot of miles at all on that truck so it might have got some algae in the tank and went through the fuel system.

Thanks for the replies guys, no it doesn't have duel tanks, its actually a ton van.

I would have been concerned about it sitting so much if I hadn't already put 40 thousand on it. It was a atmos energy gas vehicle that didn't get used apparently.
I was hoping there's a sensor or something I'm missing?? :dunno:

check the fuel pick up in the tank, it has a screen over it. its thermostatically operated to control the fuel return, I took the whole thing off of mine. Used a piece of quest hose to extend the pickup after removing the screen. I bent the return line away from the inlet line. I did install a racor fuel filter between the tank and the lift pump

sparepartsdave said:
check the fuel pick up in the tank, it has a screen over it. its thermostatically operated to control the fuel return, I took the whole thing off of mine. Used a piece of quest hose to extend the pickup after removing the screen. I bent the return line away from the inlet line. I did install a racor fuel filter between the tank and the lift pump
This should fix it. We ran several of these trucks and they all did this. The screen gives little warning. We had 4" long straws of hay stuck to ours.

I guess pulling the tank is my next move,, its just really strange, if runs great for about 5 minutes every time then shuts down. Tank will be pulled tomorrow.

Willing to bet it the pickup in the tank had several with that problem one had a piece of plastic wrapper run 5 or 10 then die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well as usual you guys were right. Pulled the tank and the screen was stuck up in the pickup. Pulled the screen and all the broken plastic out and put it all back together. I'm going to install a inline filter. Many many thanks guys!!! :dblthumb: