• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

7.3 help

toyota1

My tow pig is a 99 f550 c&c 6spd 220k with a flat bed. It has developed a random no start and i have gotten to the point of throwing parts at. The issue started out of the blue and as soon as i hooked my scanner on it started right away like it should and this is what it does everytime it doesnt start, not slow to fire or missing when it does fire off.
New parts are
Adreniline hpop
Ipr and connector
Icp
Cps x4
Everything fuel related
Injector oring, wiring and gp
And soon to be cps and icp connector

Mods
Php hydra
Bhaf
4" turbo back
Walboro pump
Fpx

I cant figure out what makes it fire up instantly when the scanner is hooked up. Any help would be appreciated

toyota1 said:
My tow pig is a 99 f550 c&c 6spd 220k with a flat bed. It has developed a random no start and i have gotten to the point of throwing parts at. The issue started out of the blue and as soon as i hooked my scanner on it started right away like it should and this is what it does everytime it doesnt start, not slow to fire or missing when it does fire off.
New parts are
Adreniline hpop
Ipr and connector
Icp
Cps x4
Everything fuel related
Injector oring, wiring and gp
And soon to be cps and icp connector

Mods
Php hydra
Bhaf
4" turbo back
Walboro pump
Fpx

I cant figure out what makes it fire up instantly when the scanner is hooked up. Any help would be appreciated

What kind of scanner? Mine has had the opposite happen with my blue tooth dongle thingy and app on my iphone. I would hook it up and it would kill it or not allow it to start.
Sounds like a sensor being wonky.

I've had two no start issues personally. One was the CPS, which Ford replaced under recall. The other was due to injector stiction, fixed with HotShot additive.

Several different scanners all have the same effect. Otc spx, maxidas and my lap top with ae. Im going to put the new cps connector and icp on since the tach doesnt move on a no start crank

I'd go cps. And go from there. Also have seen where a newish reman alternator shorted and was causing the system to go nuts and would run sometimes and sometimes not. Back feeding throwing to much voltage. Hpop would have been my first guess

If the tach does not move I would say electrical issue. I have seen the alternator cause issues as mentioned but I would also pull the hydra and re clean the connection there as a possible random issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've ran into the alternator issue but it would start. There was a diode shorted in the alternator that would cause it not to shift correctly

I agree with the cps being the first place to start looking

Look for exposed wires on the idm harness... Big square plug over d side valve cover

It's common for the insulation to wear through and cause intermittent shorts in the idm circuits

Use ae to do a buzz test which will allow you to see stored idm codes...

Ill check out the idm harness when i get back to the truck the buzz test was good with the maxi. I dont think its the cps themselves because ive tried 4 new ones but im thinking it may be the connector or the icp connector. I pulled the hydra for a week but it did the same issue with no chip. Thanks for the suggestions

mine had a similar no start due to low voltage. I don't know if if that has anything to do with your situation with the scanner but worth a shot. I have a high torque starter on and it would spin fast as hell but wouldn't crank found out that if voltage drops bellow 11 or so volts it wont fire injectors regardless of how fast it spins. just a thought may hook some cables up to it and try that be a quick check.

When it doesn't start try unplugging the ICP or MAP and see what happens. I replaced the MAP on mine and it started a lot better.

Also check ICP, IPR and CPS plugs, guy that fixed my reduced power issue by installing an IPR replaced all those too as they are prone to degradation and poor contact I guess.

Ive tried to unplug the icp when it does a no start with no change but i have not tried the map yet ill try that when i get back to the truck. The ipr and plug are new as of about 2weeks ago

toyota1 said:
Ive tried to unplug the icp when it does a no start with no change but i have not tried the map yet ill try that when i get back to the truck. The ipr and plug are new as of about 2weeks ago

Whats a CPS x4? I run the blue international cps on mine. But I saw you said no rpm's on no start which is the cps, I remember my guy saying to make sure that connector doesn't have oil in it, so maybe spray that sucker out with some electrical cleaner?

I ment ive tried 4 new cps in the past few weeks with no change. All grey motorcraft but i ordered a blue ih one and a new connector along with a new icp connector

Have you tried leaving icp unplugged? My icp is going bad and is causing a "miss" feeling. After unpluggingthe icp no more missing just the fheck engine light is on. Already changed my plug end and icp. Gonna try another icp to see if that helps my problem.

94xjsport94 said:
Interested to see if the IH one fixes it.
I am too looks like itll be here tuesday or wednesday. The holiday extended the shipping.
mikeparker said:
Have you tried leaving icp unplugged? My icp is going bad and is causing a "miss" feeling. After unpluggingthe icp no more missing just the fheck engine light is on. Already changed my plug end and icp. Gonna try another icp to see if that helps my problem.
I have an icp that was leaking a little oil but didnt have these problems i could try to swap later on today

Update in case anyone else has the same problem. I put a blue cps, new cps connector, and new icp connector on and so far that seems to have fixed the problem i noticed it starts up on what seems like half a revolution now vs 3-4 before. Thanks everyone for the help

toyota1 said:
Update in case anyone else has the same problem. I put a blue cps, new cps connector, and new icp connector on and so far that seems to have fixed the problem i noticed it starts up on what seems like half a revolution now vs 3-4 before. Thanks everyone for the help

sweet, 7.3 problems are frustrating since they are so damn reliable 99% of the time!