• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

7/8 Rod Ends for links??

Re:

TacomaJD said:
Glad to see this thread. I'm currently in limbo after talking with some people about what heims to buy now that I'm about to link my front end. I just crawl, no bouncing, but I also don't wanna fall down hard on a rock with a link and jack up the heim. Originally I was gonna use 7/8 x 3/4.....but I'm not so certain of that now after thinking about it. Just a little extra $$ for a lot more piece of mind? Idk yet....looking forward to others chiming in.

When y'all say you run 7/8 heims, are any of you running 7/8 x 3/4 or is it 7/8 x 7/8? And I am going to buy Ruff Stuff heims also.

In your case I would look into running a 7/8" shank with a 3/4" hole through the heim. It will have more material around the eye of the heim. High misalignment spacers down to a 5/8 bolt.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
Glad to see this thread. I'm currently in limbo after talking with some people about what heims to buy now that I'm about to link my front end. I just crawl, no bouncing, but I also don't wanna fall down hard on a rock with a link and jack up the heim. Originally I was gonna use 7/8 x 3/4.....but I'm not so certain of that now after thinking about it. Just a little extra $$ for a lot more piece of mind? Idk yet....looking forward to others chiming in.

When y'all say you run 7/8 heims, are any of you running 7/8 x 3/4 or is it 7/8 x 7/8? And I am going to buy Ruff Stuff heims also.
I just ordered a bunch of heims from EOR. I would price check them first.

Re:

TacomaJD said:

I'm running 7/8x3/4 with miss alignments to 5/8" bolt, just run a grade 8 bolt and all good. I have 3 out of 4 of my lower links bananed 2".250 wall and joints are still tight.

Awesome info. So a grade 8 5/8 bolt is plenty strong enough? I know some just run a 3/4 bolt through the eye and use 3/4 hole spacers. Is that overkill or worth it for a little extra strength?

I'm getting ready to order some 7/8 x 7/8 chromos . I get a price break at over 25 pieces. any one want some. They are very high quality and in 3 years I have only bent 1, no breaks, some have teflon wear But I'm still running the bent 1 and I have not had to change any.

Off the Ruffstuff web site:

masu8y7e.jpg

I have run the Ruffstuff 7/8 x 3/4 heims in my buggy for a few years with no problems at all.

Re:

^^^ awesome. 7/8 x 3/4 it is. Soon as Jimmy Penner figures out my coilover needs and I get em ordered, rod ends be ordered....another step closer.

7/8 from ruff stuffs what I'm running on uppers and lowers. Some of the best heims I've seen for the money. If I break one today I'll order more tomorrow :dblthumb:

June dog said:
7/8 from ruff stuffs what I'm running on uppers and lowers. Some of the best heims I've seen for the money. If I break one today I'll order more tomorrow :dblthumb:

How heavy of a rig you running, v8 with tons?
Also any body have any issue with the 1 1/4 rod ends not having enough material around the threads with aluminum links?

^^^^ Yes it's one ton, 60/14 bolt , v8,205 ,42's and a crap load of pipe in the cage. I'm thinking around 4500 or so I haven't got to weigh it.