• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

72" wide width restriction at Evans Creek?

Some people think that keeping wider vehicles or vehicles with 37" + tires off the trail system will be a good thing. But almost all the bypasses are started by quads, utvs, or under prepared vehicles looking for an easy way around a "hard" section of trail. So if restrictions are made to keep certain vehicles out, there will still be problems and the people with the vehicles that are not allowed will not be there to help keep those trails open and maintained.

The only illegal trail (222) at Evans was built by narrow Jeeps (under 80" wide) on 33"-36" tires.

The only rollover fatality on a trail at Evans was a similar vehicle.

The only vehicle abandoned on a trail for years and was removed in pieces out of a gulley also fit the "legal" description- mostly stock Jeep Cherokee.

But the group of people that Bob Pacific (guy in charge of Evans Creek)listens too are ignoring all these facts and blaming all the problems on "big tire vehicles on full width axles"

:corn:

Thanks Cory i agree very well put.

Make it so you can drive a schoolbus down it. Someone somewhere has a schoolbus and wants to wheel it because it's more stabil. Who are we to "discriminate" against the schoolbus wheelers. :fawkdancesmiley:

Make it so you can drive a schoolbus down it. Someone somewhere has a schoolbus and wants to wheel it because it's more stabil. Who are we to "discriminate" against the schoolbus wheelers. :fawkdancesmiley:

There are some trails on DNR land that can be done in a school bus but that is a different topic.:rolleyes:

86" wide and 42" max tires would be fair numbers. If those numbers were "on the books", we could work on the seasonal closure issue.

There are some trails on DNR land that can be done in a school bus but that is a different topic.:rolleyes:

86" wide and 42" max tires would be fair numbers. If those numbers were "on the books", we could work on the seasonal closure issue.

were already working on the seasonal clouser issue.

How is that a different topic? There are not nearly enough schoolbus trails for that user group and I think all trails should be made to schoolbus specs.

How is that a different topic? There are not nearly enough schoolbus trails for that user group and I think all trails should be made to schoolbus specs.

Actually if you go back and read the orginal forest plan where the width restrictions are. You will find that on a trail rated easy any size rig is allowed. Run what you brung!

:awesomework: Thanks :rolleyes:

How do YOU make the call as to what is TOO BIG to be driving trails? Do you go by whatever the absolute biggest rig you have ever seen is? Or do you go by what the "average" users rig is now? It just seems like there will ALWAYS be someone with a rig that is too big and comlain that these rules are unfair. Like the schoolbus wheelers. :;

DNR vs. USFS

Murkman and The_Shocker, what do you think about 86" wide vehicles and 42" max tires being or not being allowed on USFS ORV areas?

I see the whole "Size" issue as being a bad thing for the off road community.

Just because I can make a Quad over 50" wide doesn't mean that the trails should then be made bigger to allow me to use them.

Corey, How wide are you? Under 86" I would guess...

I'll hold you to that. I also expect the others on this board to hold you to your word.

The orginal width restrictions were progressive. In other words the bigger your rig the easier the trails became that you were allowed to traverse. Sizes were listed by dimension but vehicle examples were given. Easy trails logging trucks were allowed . Difficult trails allowed fullsize Blazers type vehicles. Most difficult trails allowed jeep size vehicles (short wheelbase, narrow track). Each level of difficulty trail had other definations attached. They stated heigth of overhead clearances, steepness of trail, vertical lifts (earth legdes, logs, etc) (how high and how many in a certain distance), tread width and distances between obstacles. To mention a few. There was a chart the trail builder was to use to both build the trail and grade the trail rating of existing trails.

Each Forest adopted the restrictions and added or took from the recomendations. The Forest Supervisor would put his signature to the order. One would have to read the order to see exactly what the width restrictions were.

So Crazy Daze, as I see it. You at your stated vehicle size. Would be restricted to the easy trails and depending upon the measerments you may be allowed on the difficult rated trails. Never on the more difficult.

Now it's up to your buddies to see that you stay in your place.

Corey, How wide are you? Under 86" I would guess...

I have multiple vehicles, some with mulitple tire and wheel combos. Im not worried about my vehicles fitting but people with only one vehicle that is over 80" wide that might not be able to take their kids to Naches and Evans anymore.
:booo:

The orginal width restrictions were progressive. In other words the bigger your rig the easier the trails became that you were allowed to traverse. Sizes were listed by dimension but vehicle examples were given. Easy trails logging trucks were allowed . Difficult trails allowed fullsize Blazers type vehicles. Most difficult trails allowed jeep size vehicles (short wheelbase, narrow track). Each level of difficulty trail had other definations attached. They stated heigth of overhead clearances, steepness of trail, vertical lifts (earth legdes, logs, etc) (how high and how many in a certain distance), tread width and distances between obstacles. To mention a few. There was a chart the trail builder was to use to both build the trail and grade the trail rating of existing trails.

Each Forest adopted the restrictions and added or took from the recomendations. The Forest Supervisor would put his signature to the order. One would have to read the order to see exactly what the width restrictions were.

So Crazy Daze, as I see it. You at your stated vehicle size. Would be restricted to the easy trails and depending upon the measerments you may be allowed on the difficult rated trails. Never on the more difficult.

The problem is that worked 40 years ago but now the vehicles and trails are different. The hardest trails in the state are wide with multiple lines.

Now for the serious answer.

I believe that all trail users have an equal right to run anywhere on the trail system that they can negoigate without causing trail damage.

That belief comes from the "One Nation, Under God, With Liberty and Justice for all" line that I have had drilled into my head since I was old enough to recite it.

All that being said I also believe that if you "don't know before you go" and in someway screw things up and cause others grief from your ignorant actions. You must be held accountable. That's where those with you are responsible to see that you heed the rules and you see that they do also. Or report the inapproiate actions of others to the Authorities Having Jursdiction in the area you are.

So the rule run what you brung applies according to my beliefs. Education first, sometimes education thru enforcement.

The problem is that worked 40 years ago but now the vehicles and trails are different. The hardest trails in the state are wide with multiple lines.

Good point!

Now remember that a lot has changed in the 40 years you speak of. While the trails were getting busted out wider and wider. The enviromental and ecological laws were progressivly getting more restrictive.

Hard to draw a balance when the perception has everything in such a fuzzy focus.

Personally I think this arguement about "Width Restrictions" is a waste of time. First you are dealing with something that (although not cast in stone) has already been adopted. Second your real concern should beSeasonal Closures I do believe they will be coming to a National Forest near you soon. From the type damage I have seen after Memorial weekend I think next year is a real reality.

If I understand this right the standards aren't national like we've been led to believe? Just the basic guide lines are national with local variations?

I have yet to see in the documentation any actual restrictions. All I saw were guidelines on which trails should be built.

If I missed somewhere where the current rules state a specific limitation (with a resulting penalty - since I assume that one would be required if there was a rule or law that was being broken) can someone post it.

I HAVE looked, but I cannot find it.

I did not find documentation that said that if a vehicle was over the guideline limits on a specific trail (which means the trail would have to be rated) that there were any consequences.

The easy, difficult and hard ratings define a lot of stuff, but they seem to me to only be guidelines for building or perhaps rating a trail.