• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

8.1 GM MOTOR

Humpy

I'm looking for someone with some real world experience... I have read and read but what I'm coming up with is all people saying what they "would do" but no actual facts to back it up

What I have is a single cab tube chassis truggy... 2 steering rocks and 44" boggers... Th400 trans and 205 gm case

I'm stuck between 5.3/6.0/8.1

I wanna leave motor in stock form... The 5.3 is not gonna be enough..

I really wanna try an 8.1,, I think the off throttle big inch power would be neat... This is just a trail truck.., Harlan style wheelin.. Not a hill killer or bouncer...

My question is... Has anyone run the 8.1 motor? Do you like it? What are some pros and cons??

I have room as I cut the front tube work back off to clear rocks do I can bend around the big block motor

Thx for any help

Any idea where the power band is? All bottom? Mid? Pretty good throughout?

cole run one in his yj buggy when he had it. he run 2.5 rockwells and 47ltbs. it looked like in videos like it had alot of power. its the orange one he had.

6.0 will be more fun in stock form but 8.1 has a lot of potential it's just hard to come by performance parts. My opinion is based of driving trucks with both motors but a 6.0 with just a tune and the right gears can be nasty if it's not wore out when you get it.

Humpy said:
I'm looking for someone with some real world experience... I have read and read but what I'm coming up with is all people saying what they "would do" but no actual facts to back it up

What I have is a single cab tube chassis truggy... 2 steering rocks and 44" boggers... Th400 trans and 205 gm case

I'm stuck between 5.3/6.0/8.1

I wanna leave motor in stock form... The 5.3 is not gonna be enough..

I really wanna try an 8.1,, I think the off throttle big inch power would be neat... This is just a trail truck.., Harlan style wheelin.. Not a hill killer or bouncer...

My question is... Has anyone run the 8.1 motor? Do you like it? What are some pros and cons??

I have room as I cut the front tube work back off to clear rocks do I can bend around the big block motor

Thx for any help

If you have a hard on for a big block the 8.1 is a mean motor. Pros: Factory LS style fuel injection, big torque, reliable, it's a big block so you can pick up chicks that are into that sort of thing. Cons: Out of production, shitty aftermarket support, aftermarket parts that are available are expensive when compared to a LS, weight.

I had an 8.1 in my 2009 ttc buggy and it had no problem turning the 54's. I pulled mine outta a motor home, came with an Allison trans attached but went with a th400. It was a reliable motor I pegged the temp gauge twice in ttc and it cooled off quick but I would run a bigger radiator than what I had. Did an efi live tune and it was a huge difference over stock form. The lack of aftermarket sucks but there's a bunch out there in bigger trucks and motor homes so I'm sure you could find parts.