• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

96 Ford 7.3 hard start

zuk88

If the block heater is plugged in it only takes one cycle of the glow plugs to start but other wise it takes 4 to 6 cycles, any suggestions? Glow plugs or controller?

the glow plug wiring harness on one of the sides rubs on the covers and then the glow plugs on that side quit working making it hard to start. ford has an updated harness. If you have a multimeter (clamp current measuring device) that can check to see if you have current through the wire. no current no worky... This is what the issue was on mine with some state you are talking about... I am a 2000 superduty 7.3.

When I had that problem it was a combination of bad glow plugs on one side a melted plug/valve cover gasket on the other side.

You can test resistance to the glow plugs with a multi-meter, just unplug the harness from the valve cover and test the pins, which is where I would start.

2nd gens are more susseptible to the wiring issue like scott mentioned...1st gens like yours are more susseptible to the melted harness and glow plug issue like les mentioned... could also be the glow plug relay...

Easy way to check relay is to test if power is getting through from the heavy single lead to the twin smaller leads on the other side with the relayed triggered...

Nope...on top of passenger side valve cover...looks like an old ford startre relay...:redneck: the might be two next to each other.. it should be the forward one.

I have had countless relays click, yet not provide any power to the glowplug side of the relay...Best bet is to check power at the load side (glow plug side) of the relay with it energized...If you have an amp clamp, you can check the amp draw of the glow plugs on each bank...each plug should initially draw somewhere in the 20A range and drop as the plugs heat up...so, you should see somewhere in the vicinity of 160+ amps draw on the entire circuit, if you are getting 140 in initial kick, or 120, or 80...then you have a problem! :redneck:

I have had countless relays click, yet not provide any power to the glowplug side of the relay...Best bet is to check power at the load side (glow plug side) of the relay with it energized...If you have an amp clamp, you can check the amp draw of the glow plugs on each bank...each plug should initially draw somewhere in the 20A range and drop as the plugs heat up...so, you should see somewhere in the vicinity of 160+ amps draw on the entire circuit, if you are getting 140 in initial kick, or 120, or 80...then you have a problem! :redneck:

I'll definitely check the relay before anything else :awesomework:

When I was having issues, my relay was still working, but it was on the lower side of the "normal" range. I swapped it out just for piece of mind since it wasn't that much.

If you do need to swap out the glow plugs, at the time Rock Auto had very good prices on Motorcraft glow plugs, they were around the same price or cheaper than aftermarket ones, so you may want to check them out. Riff Raff down in Oregon is a good place to check too, I got my replacement valve cover gasket/harness from them since they were one of the cheapest places and they were close by (didn't realize I needed them until I tore into the engine).

Yeah, the "gasket" is made out of hard plastic. That is where the wiring harness for the glow plugs/injectors plug into.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420571738181.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420571738181.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 96
Just always build a fire in front of it. She'll start everytime:flipoff:

And I knew a guy that would do that when hunting/camping. Or that pig wouldn't start

Get someone with Ford diesel tech knowledge to check the injector pump timing as well. Had that problem with a 200,000 mile '91 E350 7.3 and they said the motor was just worn out. Tech guy at the RV shop dialed it in for $250 and it started like a dream with more power and better fuel economy ever since. (shop truck that everyone abused and I was the only one that checked oil, etc)