• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

A good water pump?

ForMud

What pump have you have the best luck with? Longevity wise. I've got one that's just starting to past the seal, it's one of those Auto Zone/Advance Auto no name. Are the name brand one worth the extra $?
The motor is nothing high tech, just 86 small block run off road only and very rarely run at high rpms.
One other thing, I'm planning on moving the radiator to the back next year. From what I've read I shouldn't need anything High Flow...True?... Cause now would be a good time to get one put on.

If you are moving your radiator to the rear, make sure you get a High Flow unit. You will be moving a lot more water a long way and remember to put in a Schraeder valve to bleed off the air. I run a Skip White racing high flow on my small block with a rear radiator and I swear it is identical to a store bought brand. No difference other than the price from them. :****:

I have a CVR electric pump and my radiator is in the rear. Best water pump I have ever purchased, it flows like no other and has never give me an Issue. I tried some off brand ones and they would last about a year and crap out, spend the extra money and get a good one. Dad runs a moroso mechanical pump on his and doesn't have any problems with heat, his radiator is also in the rear. Just remember heat is the enemy.

CHASMAN9 said:
If you are moving your radiator to the rear, make sure you get a High Flow unit. You will be moving a lot more water a long way and remember to put in a Schraeder valve to bleed off the air. I run a Skip White racing high flow on my small block with a rear radiator and I swear it is identical to a store bought brand. No difference other than the price from them. :****:

I've been hearing Stewart makes good pump http://www.stewartcomponents.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_71&product_id=102 Bigger bearing and high flow.....But the price tag hurts.
Just checked out the Skip White pump....Looks like just the ticket...Thanks
I've been checking out some of the older post on here when it comes to moving the radiator to the back and starting to figuring out a plan....I'll probably be posting up some question later before I get started.

ForMud said:
I've been hearing Stewart makes good pump http://www.stewartcomponents.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_71&product_id=102 Bigger bearing and high flow.....But the price tag hurts.
Just checked out the Skip White pump....Looks like just the ticket...Thanks
I've been checking out some of the older post on here when it comes to moving the radiator to the back and starting to figuring out a plan....I'll probably be posting up some question later before I get started.

They will look exactly like the ones Stewart makes and possibly perform just as well. I've got 8' of return line and 10' of filler line to run through and I can see water flow when I open the cap. That's key, seeing movement. You can control how fast it moves with the thermostat or with restrictor plates.

Been using Gates pumps on a lot of stock applications/daily drivers and have not had to ever warranty one. What ever you get try to stay away from the ones that have the plastic impeller.