• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

air shock valving

uglyoffroad

I am currently running 2.5 SAW Air shocks on both front and rear of my buggy. Not sure if any of this matters, but its your standard old school GM 1 ton drivetrain tbi 350 th400 klunev, np205, 3 seater buggy 124 inch wheelbase. Not exactly lightweight, but I have seen heavier buggies out there. I bought the front 2 shocks from poly performance and told them I wanted to be able to go fast... well relatively fast around 25-35 mph down main trails and through fields, but also be able to crawl. I have been very happy with them, although I think they could be tuned a little better. I bought the rear shocks used, and they seem way too soft, I have played with oil and nitrogen levels, but when going up anything really steep they always seem to be bottomed totally out. I took them apart today, and the compression stack is .010 thickness per shim, and the rebound side is .015 thickness per shim. I was thinking about swapping them but I am afraid this will cause unloading problems. I have also considered a flutter stack, but I think I need to get the basics figured out first before trying that out any else. All the info I ahve found so far has been from http://www.crawlpedia.com/ Great tech there but really no suggestions on where to start at. Has anyone done this before, or have any suggestions on where to start with the valving?

My current buggy is the first build I've ran air shocks on (Fox 2.5). I've been pretty happy with them. Although I don't do anything go fast for an extended period of time. With that said, I've never removed the valve stacks to try tuning them in that manner. Any info/opinions from others experience will be nice to read.

nhl_bullitt said:
My current buggy is the first build I've ran air shocks on (Fox 2.5). I've been pretty happy with them. Although I don't do anything go fast for an extended period of time. With that said, I've never removed the valve stacks to try tuning them in that manner. Any info/opinions from others experience will be nice to read.
I was hoping others on here had tried it. I got no desire to start a thread on pirate and just guess who actually knows what they are talking about. Might as well just go with trial and error. After reading a little more it seems that with 5 shim plates top and bottom the actual valving is 50/75. Poly performance sells the shim stacks, so I may just call them up to see if they suggest anything.

pholmann said:
It's good to see the ole girl still gettin beat down.

Doesn't get beat as often as I would like it to but its definitely a tough chassis.

Check with Cushmaneaglerider on here....He has revalved his 2.5's a few times..... They ride better than ever. He has a better ride quality than my 2.0 SAW coilovers that I have revalved with thinnest shims available.

offroadwerks said:
Check with Cushmaneaglerider on here....He has revalved his 2.5's a few times..... They ride better than ever. He has a better ride quality than my 2.0 SAW coilovers that I have revalved with thinnest shims available.

Thanks I will send him a message.