• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Alabama Guys: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Question

customcj7

So I recently moved down to B'ham from Nashville. I had my CCP in TN. Well in order to get my new AR parts that I had shipped here, I need an AL drivers license. Epic brain fart on my part.

So I can go get one, but my concern is now having to fill out the paperwork and wait to get an AL CCP. Does anyone know since TN and AL are reciprocity states, will my TN CCP that is tied to my TN driver's license be considered valid if I now have an AL drivers license?

My initial thought is NO. The CCP is tied to the drivers license and they are supposed to match states. Which would make it illegal for me to concealed carry until my new permit comes in. Which I don't like. I know AL is open carry as well, but I'm not a fan of that at all.

I don't want to ask a Sheriff because I'm sure I'll get about 10 different answers, and no matter what, if they are wrong they will still arrest me for telling me wrong and me following their advice.

Anybody have to deal with this before?

Re:

In order to use the CCP as a bypass of calling the NICs it must be a Alabama issued one. However even having your TN license you can still buy a long gun or a lower in Alabama. I mean to save headache I'd go ahead and get the Alabama CCP because at my ffl with that I get people in and out of the store in 10 minutes. Pending how quickly they can fill out the 4473.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Re:

twizt3dfuc said:
In order to use the CCP as a bypass of calling the NICs it must be a Alabama issued one. However even having your TN license you can still buy a long gun or a lower in Alabama. I mean to save headache I'd go ahead and get the Alabama CCP because at my ffl with that I get people in and out of the store in 10 minutes. Pending how quickly they can fill out the 4473.

Agree, I bought a rifle and was in and out in 6 minutes :****:

Re:

twizt3dfuc said:

I can buy a long gun, but can't buy a lower. I checked on that one. Must have a valid driver's license of the state you are purchasing. Even the store wouldn't let me try, that's how I realized I was a dumbass.

I'm not sure which county you live in around B'ham, but if you go today you should have your new permit by end of the week in most counties. They may even tell you that your TN permit will be valid while you're wanting, I'd think they should. Also, I believe you only have 30 days from establishing a residence to get an Alabama drivers licence.

Shortbus said:
I'm not sure which county you live in around B'ham, but if you go today you should have your new permit by end of the week in most counties. They may even tell you that your TN permit will be valid while you're wanting, I'd think they should. Also, I believe you only have 30 days from establishing a residence to get an Alabama drivers licence.

I haven't heard the 30 day thing, well I'm about 60 days overdue then. What are they going to do, send me back? molaugh

Technically since I'm renting and just sold my house in TN about a week ago, I'm still under the time limit.

EDIT: And currently I reside in Jefferson County

customcj7 said:
I haven't heard the 30 day thing, well I'm about 60 days overdue then. What are they going to do, send me back? molaugh

Technically since I'm renting and just sold my house in TN about a week ago, I'm still under the time limit.

EDIT: And currently I reside in Jefferson County

I think you are about to figure out why those of us that live here hate the Jeff co court house. CCP at the sheriffs dept is a piece of cake, they actually work with you (rare thing around here for a gov run agency). You can buy it with the option to renew in 5 years, costs a little more but worth it to not have to go back every year and renew it. They might want a utility bill in your name to prove that you live here now to get your driver's license. And proof of insurance for car tags. What part of town are you in?

Re: Re:

customcj7 said:
I can buy a long gun, but can't buy a lower. I checked on that one. Must have a valid driver's license of the state you are purchasing. Even the store wouldn't let me try, that's how I realized I was a dumbass.
4b461426bb5695dd7cc92448fda1f621.jpg

85d45f7a62986b2fd75aa46b5879c98e.jpg

Pics are backwards.... it is possible the atf has made a revision because of the pistol uppers rushing the market, however I and my colleague can't find it in writing that specifies rifle lower to pistol lower.
IMHO they are serialized paper weights in the stripped stage

The way section b reads of the 4473 is actually a grey area. I've read both ways but no real answer.

grcthird said:
I think you are about to figure out why those of us that live here hate the Jeff co court house. CCP at the sheriffs dept is a piece of cake, they actually work with you (rare thing around here for a gov run agency). You can buy it with the option to renew in 5 years, costs a little more but worth it to not have to go back every year and renew it. They might want a utility bill in your name to prove that you live here now to get your driver's license. And proof of insurance for car tags. What part of town are you in?

I'm south of Hoover off Valleydale for the time being. Trying to get out to Chelsea. Do I need to go to the Jeff Co court house or the sheriff's dept? I thought it was the Sheriff for the CCP.

I meant to go back and look up what I read that said certain components were not allowed, specifically lowers. But even then, the place I had them shipped, won't give them to me unless I do.

If you are off Valleydale you are in probably in Shelby County and will have to go to Columbiana to get CCP handled. You can get your driver license at any courthouse though. If I can help you with anything let me know. My shop is in Woodlawn.

Sincerely,

Buddy Gamel
Precision Sales & Service, Inc.
451 64th Place South
Birmingham, Ala. 35212

877-403-7827, office
205-837-8871, mobile
205-591-2267, fax

[email protected]
[email protected]
www.alternatefuel.com
www.workhorseservice.com

customcj7 said:
I'm south of Hoover off Valleydale for the time being. Trying to get out to Chelsea. Do I need to go to the Jeff Co court house or the sheriff's dept? I thought it was the Sheriff for the CCP.

I meant to go back and look up what I read that said certain components were not allowed, specifically lowers. But even then, the place I had them shipped, won't give them to me unless I do.