• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Aluminum 14 bolt hubs

redneckengineered

Trailer Park Panty Dropper
I was at Sosebee's shop yesterday and noticed a pair of trick looking aluminum 14 bolt hubs from Sunfire Offroad on a build of his. He spoke highly of them and said he's been running them for a long time with no failures. I was curious so I did some research online and found three vendors.

Sunfire Offroad - http://www.sunfireoffroad.com/gm-14-bolt-aluminum-hub-kit-free-shipping-call-for-pricing/

Power Pro Racing (Pretty sure this is where Sunfire gets his kits) - http://www.powerproracingproducts.com/products/394.html

Ballistic Fab - http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Aluminum-Full-Float-Axle-Hubs_p_1695.html

I'm 40 spline in the rear of my buggy using stock 14 bolt hubs bored out. Has anyone ever bored these out for 40 spline? Will the hubs work with factory GM 1/2 ton brakes and calipers/brackets? I don't really care about the Wilwood stuff and like my brakes just fine so I don't see the need to change them. I guess I'd just like to know more about these all around.

Search in for sale section. I keyed in 'aluminum' bout the 5th listing down a guy on here has a set for sale 'Racing in the dirt' brand from Sunfire. Maybe this guy has info that'll help you at least. I spoke with Scott before and he has capability of making them work with 40 spline IIRC

flatland said:
Search in for sale section. I keyed in 'aluminum' bout the 5th listing down a guy on here has a set for sale 'Racing in the dirt' brand from Sunfire. Maybe this guy has info that'll help you at least. I spoke with Scott before and he has capability of making them work with 40 spline IIRC

I see it. I knew Scott could make them work with 40 spline but I don't know if you're married to his brake setup or not. $1200 is steep for a little weight savings. Thanks

Ive been looking at their Dana 60 hub/brake kits to save a little weight. I believe these are the same ones that were on the Old Hitman Buggy with 4 wheel steering. My brakes Suck right now.

Cole said:
The kit he runs knocks over a 100lbs a piece off each axle, and yes i think it makes a big difference but thats just my Opinion. Travis has the lightest buggy out of the group so that helps also.

Unsprung weight was the deciding factor for me to help from breaking shafts. I stayed with 30 spline 300m rcv's though. I personally don't see your setup breaking already being 40 spline. Unless you're just after overall weight savings?

Edit:.... Nice to meet you yesterday...

fltruckwash said:
Unsprung weight was the deciding factor for me to help from breaking shafts. I stayed with 30 spline 300m rcv's though. I personally don't see your setup breaking already being 40 spline. Unless you're just after overall weight savings?

Edit:.... Nice to meet you yesterday...

I got curious because I stripped out a hub bolt in one of my factory bored out hubs. Then I saw how nice your alum units were and that is how you justify spending $1100 to fix a stripped bolt hole :****:

I don't need all those brake parts, it would be cool to have an option that would basically swap in place of a factory SRW hub for those that already have all the disc brakes and brackets and **** done.

Nice meeting you as well. See you Saturday :drinkers:

I'm running the ones from racing in the dirt. If the other ones are like them then the rotor actually bolts to the hub and the kit comes with a weld on caliper bracket. You can have them machined to accept 40 spline from what I here? I think EOR did a 40 spline set for a customer a while back if I remember correctly? Overall I am pleased with them! The kit i bought included everything needed to fully assemble! The brakes suck but do slow you down!

Is most of the weight saving coming from the aftermarket brake components? I don't recall the 14 bolt hubs themselves being too terribly heavy

redneckengineered said:
I don't need all those brake parts, it would be cool to have an option that would basically swap in place of a factory SRW hub for those that already have all the disc brakes and brackets and **** done.

This. I would love a set of aluminum SRW 60 hubs. I already have the Spidertrax hats and rotors and Wilwood calipers adapted onto my axle.

I drew this up for a guy back when all the 47 spline was getting popular but nothing ever came of it. If some of y'all are interested in them I can check on pricing.

These were designed with a 2.125" bore and 3/8"s on the wall thickness on the spindle. The hub if made from aluminum weights ~4.4 lbs and designed to fit 4.5" timken bearings.