• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

AMC and Jeep interchangably questions

SJR

I have a couple engines and jeep parts , a 90 Cherokee 4.0 with a Automatic, and a guy I know has a older AMC carbed inline 6 with a manual trans, what I need to know is can I bolt up this 90 4.0 engine to the older bellhousing and trans , also can I swap the parts off the carbed engine to the 90 , if not what can I bolt up to this 90 4.0? thanks guys Scott

The only issues that you might run into is the electrical connections are not compatible.

The only issues that you might run into is the electrical connections are not compatible.

Crank position sensor is machined into the bell housing of more modern transmissions. So, a fuel injected engine may bolt to a carb'd-era transmission, but it will take some ingenuity to make it run. Been there, done that.

Most AMC engines have the same transmission bell housing patterns, and that continued after Chrysler bought AMC.

The NOVAK website is a useful tool.

NOVAK guys know their Chevy stuff. Had to correct them on some errors on their site in the past on Jeep/AMC stuff however.

As for the EFI on a Jeep 6, unless it's a pre '72 6 cyl, everything on the back of the motor lines up fine. The carb intake is slightly different than EFI one so it has to be "massaged" to fit the EFI head. The EFI head bolts on fine though. Leaks a bit if the block is narrow, but that's fixable too.

All AMC 6 cyls are zero balanced with the same crank flange since '72. Same bell as AMC V8.

Eagle requires a minor grinding of the 4.0L block for the front axle hanger. Not a biggie.

Early 6 had the starter on the driver's side which had the smaller bell housing..

Not true! In the full size Jeeps you have to change the frame mounts to swap to/from 6 cyl. CJs need pass side only swapped. '71 and older AMC 6 cyls have a Willys bellhousing pattern. '71 only 258 has the small bell pattern.