• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Amc motor

Goatrider

The outdoors is my life!!!
Just curious... I know a lot of buggy guys are also jeep guys, so what are your opinions of the old amc motors??? Like 258, 304, 360, 390, 401

I have a 360 out of a 84 wagoneer that I'm gonna use in my first buggy I'm hoping to start soon... I have been a huge fan of the motors other than there cost to build, but was just wondering what you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

I ran built 360s and 401s then went to mopar 360s.
I have a TF727 with tail shaft housing to D300 I need to sell... ;)

I love my ol 304. It needs rebuilt in a bad kinda way but its been a tough ol motor. Mo its another one of them "I wish we lived a little closer" on that 727 and 300. Damn sure what i run and i lost reverse in mine and an extra t-case is never a bad thing.

I had an 86 Waggoner that I tried to give away (scrap price) for almost a year on here, with a great running 360. Ended up jumping it till the trans split in half then melting down the motor with a stick wedged in the gas pedal wfo.

not really sure I'd that story is worth much. Probably about as much as an amc motor :****:

Re:

My 304 worked but was a complete dog. ...the 360s and 401s though are badass

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I couldn't justify spending money on building an old heavy motor to run on pane. Dollar per Horsepower per pound, LS something or other. Just like everybody else and their brother in law.

Goatrider said:
Propane injection

To bad your in Ohio and I'm in Alabama. Got an AMC 406 I want to sale. I'm leaving the motor in the Jeep until it sales, so it's keeping me from starting the new build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a stock 304 on propane. Runs great, never been rebuilt and plenty of power for 37s. When it dies, it won't be rebuilt and I'll go with something more modern with FI

Had a 304 in a old cj5. My first rig ever. Awesome little motor, but when motor mounts break, oil filter busts, motor didn't run long without oil :****:
Put a 343 out of a rambler (I think) it was a hot little motor for its day.

Not sure on rebuildig one. I'd say the ls motors would be hard to beat if you look at cost to rebuild a amc vs. Junk yard 5.3

Why are talking about rebuilding an amc.... you can get good runners for free or close to it n swap em in for the cost of a pizza and a case of beverage.

Complete pieces of ****. And that's coming from a guy that was as big of an AMC fanboy as anyone for about 10 years. I had a garage full of 360s and owned several 401s too. Looking back it was more because that was all I had to work with and little money so I had to polish a turd best I could. If you can avoid it run anything else. A propane injected Gen I 350 will run circles around those piles of ****.

LS,LS,LS. That's all anybody says anymore. I know they are cheap and make good power, I'm not bashing them. Just saying, this sport used to be a lot like hot rodding back in the ancient days when you ran what you had and made improvements where you could. Now everybody HAS TO HAVE : LS, TH350, Atlas, 60 front, 14 bolt rear on coilovers and 43 sx stickys. Bunch of CLONES. I don't know you from Adam, Goatrider, but my opinion is go for the AMC engine. And the 9 inch axles front and rear. It for sure wont be the cheapest or easiest option, but it will be DIFFERENT and YOURS. And when you are done, and climbing with it, it will be that much cooler that you did it your way, instead of the everyday HO HUM my car is just like everybody elses crap. :stir:

44BRAND said:
LS,LS,LS. That's all anybody says anymore. I know they are cheap and make good power, I'm not bashing them. Just saying, this sport used to be a lot like hot rodding back in the ancient days when you ran what you had and made improvements where you could. Now everybody HAS TO HAVE : LS, TH350, Atlas, 60 front, 14 bolt rear on coilovers and 43 sx stickys. Bunch of CLONES. I don't know you from Adam, Goatrider, but my opinion is go for the AMC engine. And the 9 inch axles front and rear. It for sure wont be the cheapest or easiest option, but it will be DIFFERENT and YOURS. And when you are done, and climbing with it, it will be that much cooler that you did it your way, instead of the everyday HO HUM my car is just like everybody elses crap. :stir:

There is a reason why..... :****:

44BRAND said:

Show us on the doll where the LS motor touched you.